New Lounger
    Thanks

Help - Tracking Actuals vs. Planned (2000)

I am attempting to track actual start/finish dates against the planned start/finish dates in MS Project, and I must be missing something. I created a schedule, then baselined it. I then added % complete, actual start, and actual finish columns. As data began rolling it, I began filling out the actual finish column. To my surprise, the finish column changed as well. What am I missing? Thanks!!!

wallygator

Thanks

Re: Help - Tracking Actuals vs. Planned (2000)

Welcome to the lounge.

You are not missing anything. When you insert an actual finish date on a task, the finish date will change to match the actual finish date, however, the Baseline Finish will remain the same. Thus in your analysis of actuals vs plan, you will show that you are ahead of schedule.

Once you baseline your schedule, the baseline dates are also your original planned dates. The finish dates or current planned dates will change based on statusing of your schedule to show how the work is progressing. So, in summary, the Baseline Dates are your original planned dates. The Start and Finish dates are the current estimated planning dates. The actual Start and Finish dates are the actual dates when tasks completed. When you input an actual finish date, the Start and Finish dates are changed to match because the work is done and should not change again.

Does this help?
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You might like the Tracking Gantt/Variance Table combination view to help you see actual vs. baseline values for task Start and Finish dates.

Carla

New Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

Thanks for the info. I worked with the columns so that I have actual and baseline start and stop dates and work variance. I am now seeing what I expect.

wallygator