New Lounger
    Thanks

Template reverts to Normal (Word2002)

I have created a template where I have changed most of the buttons that are displayed on the standard and formatting toolbars and also created a new toolbar. It is saved correctly in C:documents and settingsusernameapplication dataMicrosoft Templates. I have also checked the file locations for user templates and workgroup templates and these are correct. The problem is with one particular user. Every time she creates a new document from 'File|New|General Templates' the template reverts back to the settings that are in the Normal.dot, ie my customisations to the standard and formatting toolbars are no longer there, although the new toolbar exists but is not showing. She then went into tools|templates and add-ins and checked automatically update document styles. This fixed the problem until the document was saved when it then reverted back to the Normal again. When she opens the document after saving and goes into templates and add ins, automatically update is still checked and the template is still attached. We use iManage as our document management system if this helps.

Thanks

Re: Template reverts to Normal (Word2002)

Is your customized template installed as a global template (e.g., in the Startup folder or in the Add-ins list in the Templates and Add-ins dialog)? I believe that is necessary if you want your changes to override those set in other templates. (In other words, if the users is creating a document based on Normal.dot, the settings in another regular template will be ignored, but those in a global template will be applied using some complicated reconciliation method that may not always give perfect results.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

The customised template is only saved in the c:documents and settings..etc not in the startup folder. Are you saying I should also keep them in the startup folder? I am a bit baffled as it is only happening to the one user and the 200 other users that are using the template do not have a problem in using this template.

Thanks

If the user is choosing File > New > Your template, it should work.

Only other thought: certain add-ins can block template customizations. One we've noticed is PDFMaker, which is installed with Adobe Acrobat. It somehow seems to suppress menu and toolbar changes.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much - that did the trick. She did have pdf maker installed.