3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Paragraph numbering with differing prefixes (2003)

Hi.

I have document that I want to number the paragraphs in. It's a specification, so some of the requirements are Mandatory, indicated by "M:" some are Information, incidicated by "I:" and others are Desirable, incidated by "D:". After the colon comes the paragraph number.

For example:

I:1 This is an example
    M:2 This is how the paragraphs must number
    M:3 Start with an appropraite letter and then the next consecutive number

I tried creating three styles, but I couldn't link the numbering. When I did try to link the numbering, I lost the prefix. It's a large specification, and the numbers are likely to change. I don't want to have to go around and add all the links in later, nor do I want to have to go around the whole thing next week renumbering it, particularly as I want to create a compliance matrix from the M and D elements. The format of the paragraph numbering is in extensive use in the UK in the field that I work in, and I don't want to change it.

How can I achieve what I want? Please advise. Thanks.

Stuart

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Paragraph numbering with differing prefixes (2

I have Word 2000, but it should work similarly. You lost the prefix because you probably changed a single List Template. I've attached an example, which you can copy the styles & then modify them, but here are the steps.

After you create 3 styles. e.g. Mandatory, Desirable, & Information
    <UL><LI>Put the cursor in the Mandatory style, choose Bullets & Numbering/Outline tab & pick a numbering scheme close to what you want.
    <LI>Choose customize.
    <LI>Click More...
    <LI>For level 1, in the Number Format, type in your prefix & colon before the number. Make sure the numbering scheme is 1,2,3 & starts at 1.
    <LI>Where it says, "Link level to style", scroll to mandatory.
    <LI>Now OK your way out of the dialog box.
    <LI>Repeat these steps for Desirable style BUT make sure that you choose a different list template (i.e. another location on the Outline tab of the Bullets & Numbering dialog box.[/list]Cheers,
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I don't think Phil's solution does what you wanted. The numbers are independent for each style so that appears to be be not the desired product.

I would do this with a combination of styles / outline numbering / seq fields.

I would start by setting up outline numbering to introduce the lettering and the styles
    eg
    level1 brings in 'D:' with no tab after and is linked to style 'Desirable',
    level2 brings in 'M:' with no tab after and is linked to style 'Mandatory',
    level3 brings in 'I:' with no tab after and is linked to style 'Information

Then I would use a seq field to bring in the numbering. The benefits of using a field is that you can lock the numbering when the specification is fixed so that the numbers don't change if you don't want them to.

Setting these up with macros is relatively easy and I can send you a sample file if you need it.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andrew:
    I agree. I missed the part where the paragraphs have continuous numbering after different prefixes & created 3 separate numbering schemes. Thanks for catching this.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew,

Thanks. I think I follow what you mean, but I'm not sure why I need the outlining. Doesn't the SEQ field just produce a sequential number? In which case, can't I then just have the three styles? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

Stuart

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart:
    You can do it that way also. You could create an Autotext entry in each of the 3 styles.
    <table border=1><td align=center valign=top>autotext name</td><td align=center valign=top>style</td><td align=center valign=top>autotext entry</td><td valign=top>M</td><td valign=top>Mandatory</td><td valign=top>M { SEQ A }</td><td valign=top>D</td><td valign=top>Desirable</td><td valign=top>D { SEQ A }</td><td valign=top>I</td><td valign=top>Information</td><td valign=top>I { SEQ A }</td></table>
    where there is a tab before the SEQ field. Then you could simply type one letter (M, D, or I) & press F3.