3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge (Word 2000 (SP3))

I am trying to make a mail merge (mailing labels) from Access into Word. I have a parameter query in Access that I need to use, but Word stalls whenever I get to the parameter. I have 2 parameters; one to enter which state to search for and the other is a Between {beginning date} and {ending date}. Can someone help me?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge (Word 2000 (SP3))

I'm not real familiar with Access, but can you just do the filtering in Word? In other Words, use either the Access table or query as your datasource, but run the query first in Access. With the result in Access as your datasource, use the filtering options in Word (Step 3, Query Options, Filter records tab). For the date, you would need two criteria: a greater than and a less than, with an "AND" operator.
    Hope this helps,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

An alternative to Phil's suggestion:

In Word, select Tools | Options...
    Activate the General tab.
    Tick the 'Confirm Conversion at Open' check box.
    Click OK.
    Now specify the data source for the mail merge again. When you have selected the database, you will be prompted to select a method. Choose 'Microsoft Access via DDE'. This method will actually start Access and open the database, so that parameter queries will work.

Warnings:
    1. The parameter prompt may not get the focus automatically, so you may have to use Alt+Tab to switch to the parameter prompt.
    2. If the database has an Application Title set in Tools | Startup... that does NOT start with "Microsoft Access", Word may start multiple instances of Access.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, HansV. I tried that and found that out. That seems rather clumsy to me. I would like to type in the parameter in Word. I think I will try Phil's suggestion.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that's probably easier.