Star Lounger
    Thanks

converting to asp

Hi all: I am tasked with converting lots of html web pages/sites to asp. Me: xp pro workstation mapped to our web server - IIS ver 5 or newer. I am using Editplus for my editor. E+ has an html toolbar with a browser button, click and the browser opens the page - click and you are back in the source code. Ahhhh, you see the issue, html displays fine (as expected) and no asp (also expected), asp needs server to display asp. Issue is simple, answers, techniques, advice, is not so simple <sigh>? E+ has an address bar and displays the file path (relative to the volume). I am assumi, errrrrrr, uhhh, wondering how to bounce the asp page/browser off the IIS server to display the whole enchilada/page. TIA for all the wonderful and helpful tips, tricks, and techniques I feel are about to pour down upon me <grin>.

Thanks

Re: converting to asp

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but... if you install IIS on your own computer (it is bundled with Windows XP Pro) you can work with a local copy of the web site. Switching back and forth can be a bit disorienting, because your editor knows the file as c:whateversomepage.asp and your browser will need to access it as http://localhost/somepage.asp, in order to ensure that it is served by IIS and not simply opened as a file. It may be easiest to work independently: edit, then switch to the browser and refresh, and so on, rather than launching the preview from the editor. Does this help?

Added: If you are editing directly on the server (servernamesharesomepage.asp or f:somepage.asp) then you can have your browser pointed directly at the server and forego the local install. But you'll want to keep a local backup after each editing session.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for responding. I am mapping to the IIS web server, thus the files reside on the web server and I edit directly on the server side files. However, you did clarify what I really meant to ask (read - enduser: that's what I asked for, but not what I want.....grin) <snip> ... because your editor knows the file as c:whateversomepage.asp and your browser will need to access it as
    http://localhost/somepage.asp, in order to ensure that it is served by IIS and not simply opened as a file....</snip>. Sooooooo, what is the proper nomenclature/syntax for letting my editor ,,,,, uhhhh, just read the ADDED: yes I am, soooooo, I use <snip> server (servernamesharesomepage.asp or f:somepage.asp) </snip> sans the http://? Also, e+ does autobaks to wherever I want, and yes, I asked why we edit directly on the production server and not on a test server <sigh>. Do I need to run it through default.asp or will the file display just by using <snip> server (servernamesharesomepage.asp or f:somepage.asp) </snip>? Again, tanx.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmmm, no segue, per se, but, if I install IIS on my personal home box (has xp pro), what services do I turn off or not install, in addition to smtp? Sorry for the implied pun - personal home box (boy) - late at nite, et al, and I iz a homie from SoCal, just working the east coast <money!>. I do use zonealarm and cable access, but, careful is not always enough. TIA.

Thanks

To preview the page on the server, use the exact address that your end-user will use. That is the only one that counts. If you are editing a copy (e.g., in the http://intranet/testfolder/) then access the page in that folder, again using a normal end-user style URL.

For home installation, you will need the "web server" or "www" service. I think that's it, but I haven't installed IIS 5, only IIS 4 on NT, so things may have changed. Of course, you also need to go into the MMC snap-in for IIS and define an application folder, or ASP won't work.