Thread: training

Star Lounger
    Annapolis, Maryland, USA

I'm in a situation that's probably not all that uncommon. I earned a Masters degree in Publications Design earlier this year. As part of my studies, I had taken a class one semester on HTML. Because of this, I have been given the new title Online Editor, and I'm responsible for developing online courses. That one class hardly qualifies me to do this, but I'm getting by so far.

The good news is that I am told there is training and travel money in the budget for me. I'll believe it when I get a signed PO, but in the meantime, I need to enroll in a training program. I'm looking for something where I can learn about different LMSs and LCMSs, learn how to use DreamWeaver and/or Front Page, Flash, and other programs; where I can learn how to put together a fairly long asynchronous course, a synchronous instructor-led course, and some short web seminars.

My boss had suggested an e-learning boot camp he had read about, but he was sketchy on the details. If anyone is familiar with a program like that, or has some other, related advice, I'd love to hear it.

Michael Coleman
    BOMI International

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: training

I don't know about those acronyms, but there definitely are products tailored toward developing courseware, as opposed to normal web sites. You might search around for those (perhaps on educator-oriented sites) and see which look to be worth learning. Of course, I'm not sure there is a budget for that, either...