New Lounger
    Thanks

Toolbars move (2003)

My standard and formatting toolbars have suddenly started moving around of their own accord. I can move them to the positions that I want, fitting in a couple of additional toolbars (e.g., for Endnote and WOPR), but the next time that I open Word they have reverted back to where they were before I moved them.

Should the moves to the toolbars be stored and saved somewhere in Normal.dot (I'm not prompted to save any changes to this)?

Why is this happening? The only change that I have made to my system is to install Ad-Watch Plus, which blocks Cookies but shouldn't be doing anything to interfere with Word.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Toolbars move (2003)

Hi John:
    It might be a damaged DATA key in the registry. Follow the steps in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#> to narrow down the issue.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I began the process of deleting the data key and got as far as exporting the registry and was about to rename the keys. I decided to open Word so that I could cut and paste a copy of the entries in the data key (an extra backup!) and found that my toolbar was no longer playing up. I have stopped and started word a number of times since then and it all seems OK. It seems as if the 'threat' to modify the registry worked!

I think this all started happening after I opened someone's RTF e-mail in Outlook. I noticed that there is a separate data key for Wordmail toolbars, so perhaps this is where the problem arose. Whatever the cause, the threatened solution seems to have worked!

In the midst of this I downloaded the latin-cyrillic add-in from the Microsoft site. This adds a new toolbar. However, I lose this toolbar whenever I exit Word (it also disappears from the list of toolbars in the View menu). Microsoft Help suggest that I completely uninstall Office and reinstall it. I can't really face doing this, which sounds like a hammer to crack a walnut. I'd rather live without the extra toolbar, but does anyone have any less draconian solutions to the problem of the disappearing toolbar?

Thanks for the help

John

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Glad your problem disappeared. As far as the new add-in toolbar, I haven't used it. However, if it's an add-in, you should lose it when you exit Word. You would only have the toolbar enabled after you load the add-in (Tools/Templates & add-ins/latin-acryllic etc.). When the add-in is not loaded, the toolbar isn't available. Also, it may be that it only pops up under certain circumstances. If there is code in the add-in that enables the toolbar under situation A, but disables it under situation B, then you won't always see the toolbar & it won't be visible in the list of toolbars.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - you are exactly right. The Microsoft download simply adds the new toolbar to the currently open document, so it is necessary to go into the Organiser and copy the toolbar to normal.dot. Nothing on the Microsoft instructions makes this clear - I had assumed that it shpould have installed directly to normal.dot. So much for Microsoft advice to remove and resinstall the whole of Office. I am telling them that they need simply to modify their instructions!

Thanks again.