4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Remove relationships error message (Win XP Access 2003)

I am trying to change the size of a field in a table, but get a message that I must remove relationships first. I removed the relationships in the Tools/Relationships window, but still get the error. Then I removed related LookUp SQL statements, but still nothing. Then I looked at queries to see if possibly there were relations established, but no luck.

Where else can I look? Sometimes error messages are not exactly explicit, and the error could be something else. I would hate to have to re-key this table to fix the error, but I am running out of alternatives.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Remove relationships error message (Win XP Access 2003)

Did you actually remove the relationship by clicking on it and deleting it, or did you just remove the table from the layout? The latter has no effect on the relationships. If you have subdatasheets turned on in the tables, that also creates an implied relationship, but queries do not except for table lookups, which do.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Turning the sub data sheets off did it. Thanks.

One last question, if your patience permits. In the new tables created by the Analyzer, in Lookup properties, in the Row Source property, the Analyzer has put in fields in the form xyz_ID_xyz. What is this about?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You're referring to the aliases used for the key fields from the other table in the SELECT statement. I think the only reason for that is to insure that there is no conflict with an actual field name in either table. Since developers aren't likely to name their fields like that, it avoids problems the wizard can't deal with.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I still have trouble with not being able to modify a field size. I have done the following:

Removed the specific relationships to this table. (Yes, I deleted the relationships, as you suggested);
    Removed the subdatasheet relationships;
    Removed all relationships in the DB;
    Removed all Lookups in the related tables by placing Lookup equal to Text;

I still get the message:

You can

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you post a stripped down copy of your database? That would allow Loungers to investigate the problem directly. See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I try to modify the size of an ID field, I get a "Must remove relationships" message. Even though I remove the relationships, I still get the message.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Looking at you database, it appears all the tables had been hidden in the relationship window. When I pressed the toolbar button "Show All Relationships" I got the attached image (the button is circled in red). Once I deleted the relationship lines, I was able to change the primary key field sizes.
    Wendell