New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2002 Problems?

I'm a VB programmer who uses Access for my data store. Access 2000 caused many, many problems with my older DAO code. And since my users are running a mixed lot of Office versions, I can't force them to move to a single version.

Will Access 2002 create the same headaches for me? Does anyone know?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 2002 Problems?

Access XP is supposed to be even more ADO-centric than Access 2000. I personally have had zero problems with my DAO code in Access 2000, so you might want to do some additional troubleshooting. Access 2000 is fussier about valid code than earlier versions, so some stuff that would compile in old versions but would error out at runtime simply won't compile in Access 2000. Are you turning off your ADO reference? If not, are you specifically declaring all your object variables by type (i.e., DAO.Recordset, etc.)? Otherwise, code may or may not compile, but it is bound to break at runtime because Access won't be able to resolve the methods called to those in the default ADO object model.

One area to explore is whether you used compatibility libraries. They tend to cause more problems than they cure as you migrate through versions, since a point is reached eventually where the version no longer supports that OLD compatibility library. On the other hand, the code those libraries supported is obsolete and breaks entirely when you set a reference to the current DAO library.

Or were you talking about conflicts between Access 2000 runtime and older applications? That is a different issue and is really a setup wizard issue more than an Access issue. The packaging and deployment wizard is certainly better and smarter than the previous version but it can't begin to compare to products like Wise or InstallShield, which can use scripts to intelligently install Access 2000 runtimes on various platforms.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte;

Thanks for the quick reply.

The problem occurred when a user on one of the campuses installed O2K and upgraded the 97 mdb I supplied. The programs I supplied wouldn't run. When MS upgraded from 95 to 97 I didn't see any problems with my programs, I did use the compatibility library, though. With the upgrade from 97 to 2000 I had to recompile a special version of the system using the newer DAO object and it wouldn't work with the older Access.

My long range plan is to move these systems into MSDE, but for now I'm very worried that some user will make the switch to XP and I'll be forced to adjust the programs just for them.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The differences between 95 and 97 were largely in corrected behavior and fixed bugs, but Access 2000 is an entirely different animal from Access 97. The shift to unicode and ADO makes them less compatible than previous versions. I have run into problems where the local system guy upgraded 97 databases, or worse, partially upgraded them (don't ask me how but they ran but would not allow any design changes). It is not as automatic as selecting convert when the dialog pops up when the application is fairly complex. There was a shift in some of the object libraries between versions, so the old object library had a different name/extension than the new one, and that has the potential to cause problems too.

The 97 runtime doesn't necessary work on an Office 2000 machine, although SageKey has some scripts for Wise Installer and InstallShielf that supposedly cure the problems the Setup Wizard has with creating 97 runtimes that actually run on O2K machines. I've built setups for 97 than ran just fine on some O2K machines and wouldn't run at all on others, so you're better off creating a copy of the program that runs under Access 2000 and making that available to them.

If you're looking at MSDE or SQL Server, make every effort to bring your programs into 2000. The compatibility between Access and SQL Server is very good in 2000, far better than in 97. In 2002, you will be able to create stored procedures from Access IN ACCESS SQL instead of having to write them in T-SQL, which will be a very good thing in my opinion.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've been a custormer of Barry at Sagekey for some time now. I used his scripts with Wise and they worked flawlessly (I've been pestering him for some time for a script for MSDE<G>).

The problem is when the users upgraded the 97 databases without my knowledge. I've alerted them to leave my databases unconverted, I hope they listen.