Star Lounger
    Thanks

Symbols (Outlook 2000)

Does anyone know where I can get a list of which letter equals which symbol?

This has come about because we wanted to put a "divide" sign into an email - I have just copied it from the symbols in Word - but I see that Symbol is a font in Outlook as well.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Symbols (Outlook 2000)

You can use the Character Map accessory that comes with all Windows versions to look up a character in the Symbol font, and copy it to the clipboard, ready to be pasted into an application such as Outlook.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry Hans - dont know what the character map is or where to find it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Depending on your version of Windows, select Start > Programs > Accessories > Character Map or Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map. You can select a font in the dropdown list near the top, then point to a character, click Select to add it to the box (this can be repeated), finally click Copy to place the selected character(s) on the clipboard.

The screenshot below is the Windows XP version of the Accessory. Some features may be lacking in older Windows versions, but the basics are the same.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to HansV's advice, if you want to, you can obtain a list of the old ASCII 3 digit codes, or you can get a list of the Windows 4 digit Unicode codes, and enter them via teh keyboard. In either case, the characters can be entered on the keyboard by having NUMLOCK turned ON, and then holding down the ALT key while entering the 3 or 4 digits.

Since I'm an old guy who can't learn anything new, I use the old ASCII 3 digit codes; the characters may not reproduce in Windows applications depending on the application and on font mapping. When they don't, you have to use the Character Map method that Hans explained.

Attached is my list of special characters that usually work that way. I know about
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS