Lounger
    Thanks

Infostore Item Count

When i view the MAILBOX RESOURCES folder in the xadm program, under the TOTAL NO. OF ITEMS column, many mailboxes will show THOUSANDS of items, yet when I view the actual mailbox there seems to be only a few hundred.
    WHY IS THIS?
    --Tim

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Infostore Item Count

If your talking Outlook as the client check the Journals, it defaults to automatically record for...nearly everything. Each journal registers as an item. Also anything in the Deleted Items will count.
    Granville

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

right click on outlook today and choose properties, then folder size. are the sizes close? it won't give you a count, you'll to compare sizes. it's not unusual for it to be off a little.

included in the counts and sizes are hidden items - reminders, views, custom forms etc. so its possible to have a few visible items but a large count and large file size.

david.pearce

Didn't understand that last message. What do you mean by Outlook today? (Iam using Outlook 97 on Exchange 5.5 on a NT4.0 server.) We have suffered this problem for months on our small mail server with about 20 users. It creates 20-30 Mb or more of data in no time which overloads the private information store and causes the server to crash. All users clean out their folders weekly, I have switched off journal on every workstation and I have even cleaned all mailboxes pretty ruthlessly but it just keeps building up. Obviously the data Exchange is storing is useless but how do I find it and delete it or, better still, stop Exchange saving it in the first place?

David