Star Lounger
    Thanks

Report format (Access 2003)

I'm trying to use Access to reproduce a standardized form. I have created a report with sub-reports containing data that may vary in size (length). Each sub-report has borders so everything appears boxed in (outlined) like the original form. I want the lower sub-report to print it's border all the way to the bottom of the page even if there is not enough data to fill the page and print to a second page only if there is too much data to fit on page one. I am having a problem with making the report look like I want. I can't get the report draw the border to the bottom of the page even if there isn't enough data and sometimes a blank second page will print. My only choices to this point have been to accept the report as is, or print it with no borders.
    I'm obviously going about this in the wrong way..
    How can I create my report so the bottom sub-report is outlined to the bottom of the page each time (prints the same on every page) and only prints on a second page when needed?

I may not be explaining this very well so if I need to clarify something I would be happy to try.

I would really appreciate help with this problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Report format (Access 2003)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by hasse on 18-Nov-04 19:40. Added some additional comments.)</P>Deb,

About the bottom line: can't you modify the subreport layout & add this line to the footer instead? When no-one comes up with a solution (like coding the subreport text box size depending on it's content... nearly impossible I guess), this might be much easier.

About the empty page: I tried a Lounge search on "empty page report"...
    - Hans' suggestions at <!post=Re: Blank Page printing at end of report (2000),248133>Re: Blank Page printing at end of report (2000)<!/post> seem worth checking out;
    - in addition to his last remark: the same applies to (1) lines and such with a tiny bit or end 'sticking out' of the available space on your page, causing only-at-first-sight-blanc pages with actually some nearly visible spot/... somewhere (2) <!post=report width,85264>report width<!/post> ... If the section + margin width exceeds the page size by even a tiny bit, this can results in empty pages as well. But normally you should notice this, as it generates a warning message when returning from design to report view...
    - maybe this is an 'empty' subreport issue... I didn't encounter such situations yet, so I can't really help you any further on this, but a lounge search will.
    Hasse

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The page footer prints at the bottom of the page, so perhaps you should take a look at using that. Creating boxes on forms is an ongoing challenge because Access isn't really designed for that. You can draw lines on the page but even then, it takes a great deal of ingenuity to deal with instances wherea field is one too many lines long and overlaps the page footer (yes, it can happen). We only draw lines like that on reports that are fixed length. Any report with variable lengths, we skip the boxes and draw a line between sections instead.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hasse
    Thanks for your insight. I tried searching on the Lounge before I asked. I found and read the items pertaining to too wide/too long. I couldn't find anything that addressed my problem (not that there's nothing out there, but I was unable to locate anything). My problem is close but not quite the same. You touched on it and Charlotte responded as well with an answer - Horizontal lines are no problem but vertical lines on a variable-length record are very difficult, if not impossible to control.
    I will either stick with what I have which is generally okay, just not as "pretty" and precise as I would like - or if I can get the okay I will eliminate the vertical lines on that part of the report.
    Thanks to you and Charlotte for taking time to help me.