New Lounger
    Thanks

Conditionally excluding text (2003 SP1)

Hi there. First post in this forum. I'm a technical writer working on a couple of Word documents -- the user's guide (UG) and getting started guide (GS). There's a procedure section that lives in its own .doc file. I want to include it in both docs (via Insert > File > [browse to file] > Insert as Link), but in a slightly different format: there are paragraphs that I want to appear when it's imported into the UG but not appear when imported into the GS doc. Can anyone suggest or point me to a good way to do that?

Here's what I've tried so far. I defined a keyword ("GettingStarted") for the GS document, the one I wanted to exclude paragraphs from. I put the conditional text into a bookmark, and I set up the following field: { IF Keywords <> "GettingStarted" BookmarkName }. But what I get from this is just the text BookmarkName appearing before the paragraph I want to conditionalize.

Am I on the right track, or is there a better way to do it? Thanks much for your help.

Bruce Watson
    Evanston, IL

Thanks

Re: Conditionally excluding text (2003 SP1)

I'm not a big user of REF fields, but I think you want to replace the text BookmarkName with a REF field that imports the contents of BookmarkName. Does that work?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A simple way to do this might be to use a style which is hidden in one of the docs but not hidden in the other doc.

You won't need to bother with fields if that works.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Bruce,

If you bookmark the portion of the procedure that is common to both files, you can use an INCLUDTEXT field in your:
    . User Guide without referencing the bookmark, so that it inserts the whole of the procedure; and
    . Getting Started Guide referencing only the bookmark, so that it inserts the bookmarked portion of the procedure.

The INCLUDETEXT field syntax for the:
    . User Guide would be something like {INCLUDETEXT "C:/My Documents/Procedure.doc" !}
    . Getting Started Guide would be something like {INCLUDETEXT "C:/My Documents/Procedure.doc" "BookMarkName" !}

Cheers
    PS: If you look up Word's help file, you'll see that it suggests using '' for path separators. Using '/' works just as well.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

While all of the suggestions above will work, here's one more. Copy what you want to appear in a document & use Edit/Paste Special/Paste Link. This will automatically bookmark the portion of the document that you want. You can copy & paste special the entire document into the UG & just those portions that you want in the GS. One advantage of this method is that they will update almost instantaneously if you change the source file.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. Very helpful and I appreciate the assistance.

Bruce Watson