3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Paste Special from Excel (Outlook 2000)

I'd like to paste a small portion of an Excel workbook into an Outlook message. But the "Paste Special" option is greyed-out. Format is set to HTML, so apparently I'm missing something.
    What else should I be doing that I am not, or maybe I should ask, what am I doing that I shouldn't?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Paste Special from Excel (Outlook 2000)

I usually just select the message insertion point and do a standard paste using the keyboard: Ctrl-V or Shift-Insert. The Excel range you selected will be copied to an HTML formatted table in your HTML format message. If there's some special format you need, it's easiest to predesign it in Excel or another application. Does this help?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I may just be answering one question while raising a new one here but . . .

I opened a new message and tried Paste-Special and then select MS Excel Worksheet. That worked as I normally expect it to, colored text, borders, shading etc. In fact, just Pasting in this new message works fine.

So, what happened since then? In my last attempt (the one before I came to the Forum) I had only one option - Paste, which came out looking not very formatted.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure; I think there's menu context differences based on message format. Also, unless you force received messages to plain text, when you reply or forward you inherit the message format the originator used, so you may be dealing with all three possible formats. In the message window, the Format menu will tell you the active format; test it and see what happens with the Paste Special menu.
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I understand what you mean about inheriting the format style of the originator, but I was starting a new message.

When I click on New Message and check Format, I see Rich Text (I flipped it over from HTML just now) is checked. In this new message all of the Paste-Special options are available.

wait a minute . . .

Just to check again I clicked on the Inbox icon, then New Message, then Format (Rich Text is still checked). When I slid the cursor over to Edit only Paste is available. So I click in the message and try the right mouse, Paste-Special is not there. Finally, I click again on Edit and Paste Special is now available (no longer grey).

But what happened in my last message? By the time I came to the forum I had already clicked inside the message body and I haven't changed any settings. In Options, I have Rich text selected. Any other things I should check?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't plan to test all the options, but the activation of 'Paste' and 'Paste Special' menus is also dependent on the copy mode status of the Windows Clipboard; they may not be active if the Clipboard has nothing to Paste.
    UTC -7ąDS