Thread: Address (2002)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Address (2002)

I've recently upgraded to 2002 from 2000 Office Pro. When I hit Send for email then To, my contact names are listed first name first. How do I make them Last name first, as they previously were.

Thanks

keith

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Address (2002)

See Egghead's <!post=Star Post,102995>Star Post<!/post>.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, you guys are soooo goood!!! Thanks. This site seldom fails, though I note no-one has tried my adjacent post.

keith

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I only know about syncing with Palm OS's using Chapura PocketMirror. You could post a link in the Other OS's Forum to your post here to see if anyone who checks that Forum can help.
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks: let me give a follow up question: With 2000 I could email a Send To and by just right clicking someone's name, I could choose which address to send to. Now with 2002, in the Names, Address book, under Send--To I get 3 or 4 of the same name if the person has several e mail addresses and I can't tell one from another without first choosing it? What's this about, and how to simplify to the old way?

keith

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you mean that when you are composing a message, and click the "TO:" button, and get the "Select Names" dialog, then yes, you get multiple names and it's hard to tell them apart. Guess what? This is Microsoft "helping you" to be aware that the Contact has multiple email addresses. Some solutions:

1. Go into the Display Properties for the Contact E-Mail Addresses and edit them with something that will distinguish them, such as "Jim - Home" and "Jim - Work"

2. Run the VBA code in <!post=this thread,283844>this thread<!/post> to set all existing Contact E-mail addresses to the form "Jim - <Domain>" to help you distinguish them. (And henceforth for all new Contacts use method 1.)

Does this help?
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, we're talking about the same thing. Both look like they'll help, and when I get a minute, I'll play with each. If I run the VBA code thingy (not familiar with), can I undo it if I don't like it?

keith

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 19-Nov-04 10:24. )</P>Good question. You can't undo the VBA code with one click on the UNDO button, and the VBA code as now posted will overwrite any existing "Display As" settings you already created for Contact e-mail addresses. However you could tweak the code to reset all the "Display As" settings to the default "Display As" settings. If you want, we can work on some smarter VBA code, that will not change the "Display As" setting if it appears to be other than default.

The way I would handle this is to make two Contact Folders on a temporary basis, as a child to the main Folder, and move all the names to be changed to one of the temp Folders, copy the same Contacts to the other temp Contacts Folder, then run the code against one of them. If you are satisfied with the result, Move (drag) the changed Contacts back to the main folder, and delete the two temporary folders. If you are not, delete the Folder with the messed up list, recreate it, copy the names from the other temp Folder (which Contact data you never change, it serves as your backup!), edit the code and try again.

Another advantage of this temporary Folders approach is that you can place as many or as few Contacts as you want and run the code against them, and you can take groups by category and change the code for different types of contacts, such as business vs. personal.

Hope this makes sense.
    UTC -7ąDS