2 Star Lounger
    Lanyon, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

IE6 and XP (XP PRO '02 SP 1)

Hi all.
    Anyone encountered problems with IE6 when using XP? I can open a couple of internet browser windows without problem to start with. But if I try to open more than a couple, I often get the message

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE6 and XP (XP PRO '02 SP 1)

I don't know what causes your problems, but it is not due to the Windows XP / Internet Explorer 6 combination. I have been using it for quite a while now, both at work and at home, without such problems. Does your PC have enough memory? Although Microsoft states 64 MB as a minimum, and recommends at least 128 MB, 256 MB is a safer lower limit, and 512 MB is even better.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

I think you shuld strongly consider upgrading to SP-2. After backing up whatever you deem important.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

Administrator
    Thanks

I use the free version of Sygate Personal Firewall. I works just fine. If you have a firewall that communicates properly with the new security center in SP-2 you should have the opportunity to disable the Windows firewall during installation of SP-2. In any event you can alwyas turn off the Windows firewall and use yours. SP-2 does not block your firewall.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tried Sygate...yeah, free to look in your system..but once they have your system details, $AUD 35 to do anything about any problems as they perceive it (ie, if it ain't theirs, it's a problem). I may as well go back to Billy G blocking the freeware products that worked so merrily with 98SE.
    I'll have to do some more research as to why ZA and SP2 don't like each other I guess. (Has the financial bite finally hit the big B.G.??)
    REally - I'm not naivie and don't suggest XP isn't the "now" operating system, but I don't understand why msn is worried about a few freeware applications such as ZA and AVG working with their systems to benefit low end (usually family) users such as myself when they have in the past.
    Politics and big business @#$!% me.

Sorry - "end of rant" I believe is the polite why to sign off after such a tirade

Administrator
    Thanks

They are updates to both ZA, Sygate and AVG which make them interact correctly with the SP-2 Security Center. In my experience all three play well with SP-2 now. BTW, Sygate has free forums where you can post questions for all versions. I've run the free version of SPF for over a year. Used the free version of ZA for several years before that. Switched because ZA was not very good about detecting updates automatically and to try something different. I used the free AVG for quite a while and have used the free Avast! for a couple years. If I recall correctly when I switched I had some occasional problems with AVG. Most people I know that use free A/V software use AVG quite happily and most of those are running SP-2 (Home & Pro).

Joe
    Joe