3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network Password (2002)

Now that I've upgraded from 2000 to 2002, I keep having to enter my Password for the network, even if I check save password. What can I do about this.?

kieth

Thanks

Re: Network Password (2002)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Leif on 19-Nov-04 17:02. )</P>Try:
    MSKB 836664: Your password is not retained in Outlook 2002 or Outlook Express 5.5

Edited to add:
    On further reading, that may only apply if you are running W298, so try:
    MSKB 290684: Save password setting not retained in Outlook

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif: do you happen to know if this applies to XP; they're talking about 98. Also there's an extra file, "Pstorec.dll_" What to do with that? But more to the point, I can't find the Control Panel things they mention in XP?

keith

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oops, Sorry Leif. I didn't see the last part of your post till later. I do have XP. I couldn't carry out those instructions, because Edit--Permissions--....the Apply button (and both Read and Full Allow are checked but grayed out. So I'm stymied. But let me tell you two other things. The first is that the Password request comes only sporatically.

Secondly, I thought I'd mention that I don't know any Leif's. But it happens I'm currently reading a great novel: by Leif Enger, called Peace like a River. It's a wonderful book.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"Password request comes only sporatically"

This is most likely a "Server Issue" more than a Outlook issue. Have you checked with your email provider?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ISP disavows any knowledge. And it only appears sporatically when Outlook is open. And only began when I installed Outlook 2002 (and Active Synch). I think it's an Outlook problem, but can't get rid of it.

keith

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"Outlook 2002 (and Active Synch)"

I would think that it is a Active Synch issue since it started after installing it.

Also what does a "Network" password have to do with your Outlook unless you are on a Exchange server?
    Are you using Exchange and or on a Domain network?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Happy post Thanksgiving. Well, you'll have to tell me what Outlook has to do with needing a Network Password. All I can tell you is: 1. This message never appears if Outlook 2002 is closed. 2. It never appeared until I put in Active Sync and Outlook 2002 (I had had an earlier version of A.S. and of Outlook 2000.). 3. I've combed the very few options of Active Sync and can't find anything which makes a difference. 4. I've tried with the Network Password message to cancel it, leave out a password, leave out a username, etc. etc. Either it's impossible to continue using one of these, or they don't solve the problem.

Any thoughts? Do you think another or these forums would be more likely to solve this?

keith

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Post a screen shot of this password request pane.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK: here!

keith

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 29-Nov-04 08:35. )</P>At http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-28.html it shows that the pop settings should be:
    Enter the following information: <font color=red>
    User Information
    Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the "From" field of your outgoing messages.
    Email Address: Enter your full Yahoo! Mail address (for example, "user@yahoo.com").
    Server Information
    Incoming mail server (POP3):
    <font color=blue>pop.mail.yahoo.com </font color=blue> <big><big><---------</big></big>
    Outgoing mail server (SMTP):
    <font color=blue>smtp.mail.yahoo.com </font color=blue>
    Login Information
    User Name: Enter your Yahoo! ID (your email address without the "@yahoo.com").
    Password: Enter your Yahoo! password.</font color=red>

Edit.
    I also see that you are using a pacbell address at yahoo, which ISP are you tying to get the mail from?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not entirely sure what you mean Dave: My settings are as you describe, though for some reason I've got two different accounts with the same settings: one called SBC Yahoo! Mail-kcohn and the other called pop.yahoo.mail.com (I think the second one appeared when Yahoo got into the act, and I never noticed this). Anyway, what do you mean by which ISP. I'm using the old pacbell, which is now SBC DSL.

keith

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In the image you posted above, you have "pop.pacbell.yahoo.com" with the email address of "???@pacbell.net".

For the PacBell address you should be using a PacBell server NOT a yahoo server.
    I can NOT get to the PacBell email help since I do NOT have a pacbell email account.

Thanks

Keith, if those settings match what your ISP requires, it is possible that the account settings have become corrupted in the registry. The first thing to try is to re-setup your PACBELL.NET account in Outlook; often that works. See <post#=405416>post 405416</post#> for more information.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave and Jscher2000: It looks like ya'll may have done it. By deleting and by re-making an account, so far the balloon has disappeared, though only a little more time will tell.

Thanks, as always

keith