Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Open and close oddities (2003 SP1)

When I open Word, I have the standard blank document Document1, but I also get a 'Save As' window that asks if I want to save (it as?) Doc1.doc. I cancel and it repeats the window. I cancel for the second time, and now it proceeds normally with Document1. If I decide to close this still blank Document1 it asks if I want to save the changes, but I think this is normal (the time or date may have changed) and it accepts cancel.

I can close normally after this, but previously I was having problems closing as well, in that Word would demand responses for the non-existent documents Doc1 and Doc2 and for a time Doc3, and the only way out was via the Task Manager.

Can anyone suggest an explanation or possible cure for this odd behaviour?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open and close oddities (2003 SP1)

It smells of corrupt normal.dot, an add-in or a VBA Macro.
    How customised is your version of Word? If its vanilla, then just renaming normal.dot should tidy things up.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

It's more customized that I had realized. The toolbars are customized but chiefly with Word options themselves, I have Copernic Summarizer, I have just discovered that under File I have Acquire Text and Acquire Text Settings PLUS the same pair 'For OmniPage 14 Pro', I have a Print To PaperPort (PDF) icon that I think PaperPort put there on its own, I have Avery Wizard, I have WOPR enhanced thesaurus (and previously had WOPR, but it was too much to deal with), and I had Office Ready Professional (templates). It reports that i have A20MSW11.DOT, which doesn't ring a bell. I think the straw that broke the camel's back may have been the installation of Naturally Speaking and upgrading it to version 8.

I tried fully uninstalling Word and deleting Normal.dot, but I didn't think to uninstall the add-ins, and when I re-installed it Word looked and acted exactly as it had before.

All of that was written before the post from HansV, which looks very promising.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I followed the Word 2003 troubleshooter referred to in Phil Rabinchow's post, and it turned out to be a COM Add-In, specifically the help file for ScanSoft PDF converter, which I think I've read of others having trouble with.

Thank you both for the help.