Thread: Index entries

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Index entries

I am using Word 2000. O/S Windows 95. I have a 400 some odd page document. I was trying to get the index to be all the same (no special formatting, like bold, italics, etc.). I went through the document cutting the index entries out of heading styles and pasting them into a text (normal) style. (then taking out special formatting) When I updated the index, the entries I had updated, the page numbers were in the index, but no text. So in the index the entry looked like this: .........326
    Like Word thought there was a blank index entry on that page or something?!? So, I put them back the way they were. Then I deleted an entry in a heading style and re-inserted an entry in the text style. When I updated the index again, the new index marking was there in addition to another "blank" one (.....326)!
    I had previously done this same procedure in a smaller document (only about 100 pages) and did not have this problem.
    If anyone can help with this, it will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Ruth
    ADDED INFORMATION:
    I just realized the 400 some odd page document is one that was original a Word Perfect document (v5.1) that was converted to a Word document. I thought that information might be helpful.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Index entries

One thing is, I don't think the size of the file has anything to do with WOrd's behaviour on the Index creation.

If you wish to remove formatting in the entries, browse by field, go to every index entry (with Hidden text on) and Press Ctrl-Q and Ctrl-Spacebar every where. (You may also write a macro to search for every XE field and remove para and font formatting).

Then, save the file and update the Index, and see what you get.

Cheers!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks...that did it!!!!
    Ruth

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, I spoke too soon....while that worked for most of the entries, I have 3 stubborn entries that this will not work with. One of them is supposedly on a page where, if looking at that page, that index entry is not there. When converting over to Word we must have deleted that index entry! Are there any other tips on how to get the other 2 entries fixed???????