Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Missing Printer Info (A2000)

All of a sudden (but after making some layout changes) I started getting the following message when attempting to preview a report:

"There was a problem retrieving printer information for this object. May have been sent to a printer that is unavailable."

However, as far as I could tell by printing from another program such as Word, the printer works just fine on this computers.

Any suggestions as to why Access no longer can find a printer?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing Printer Info (A2000)

The printer in question is the printer saved for the report. Open the report in design view and check the printer in page setup to make sure that the selected printer is one that is currently available.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for the hint. I developed the application on one machine and installed it on another. I'll have to set up the printer for the other computer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

your best option would be to always use the default printer whenever possible in designing reports. That helps eliminate or at least reduce the occurence of this kind of problem.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I develop these applications on my home machine which always uses my default printer. However, I install and run them on another system. I don't know what happend on the other system except perhaps the user had been printing to a non-default printer and somehow that spooked Access. I'll investigate and see if that's the case, as I had never had that problem before.

3 Star Lounger
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

I develop in the same way as you Chuck. Selecting printers caused me many problems (although I don't recollect that particular error message) and I changed my approach to eliminate them as far as possible.

First of all, I prevent any user from printing without first previewing; I do this by always calling the openreport using

DoCmd.OpenReport "ReportName", acViewPreview

Secondly I remove the standard Print Preview toolbar and replace it with my own which is broadly similar except that the Print button calls the Print Dialog rather than pushing the report straight to the default printer. Another benefit of this is that I don't have to worry in code about the user wanting multiple copies or printing ranges of pages - all these options are in the dialog.

To get a Print Dialog you have to create a macro with a RunCommand command set to Print. This macro can then be attached to a button on a toolbar.

Hope this helps.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi David,

I came to the same conclusion, i.e. I only install a print preview command and not a print command. However, at least in my case, Access comes up with the "cant' find default printer" error before it will even display the print preview! That was my biggest surprise.

I would be interest in exactly how you set up the print preview tool bar.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

One thing you might check Chuck: Be sure that the AutoCorrect options for the database are turned off, and that all users have the latest service pack (SP3 for Office 2000). That feature has been implicated in numerous problems related to corrupted printer information. Never the less, you can expect to see these kind of things happen from time to time - when it does you need to use the Print Setup command to correct the situation.
    Wendell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell, thanks for the tip. I'll try to checkout which SP's are installed. However, the target computer is a secretary's at our church, and installing any updates has to be done by their IT guy. I'll try talking with him about it. Meantime, I'll go to the printer setup and see if I can solve the problem there.

3 Star Lounger
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Hi Chuck, sorry for delay but I needed to be at my work computer to send this.

I've attached a small database which has all that is needed. It has a report repTest that has instructions on how to set up the toolbar. Hope you find it useful.

Dave

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chuck

You can find more on the subject at

Can't print after changing printers (Access 2002)

<post#=205726>post 205726</post#>

HTH

John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi David,

Thanks for the reminder about maximizing the print preview, and I'll give your toolbar scheme a try. It sound like a good idea.