New Lounger
    Thanks

Installing Office 2000 Upgrade on New Computer (Office 2000 SR1)

My old computer came with office 97, which I upgraded to Office 2000. I have the CDs to install Office 2000. I just bought a new computer and I want to install the Office 2000 on it. But, when I try to install it, it says it can't find the product which qualifies me to upgrade. I have the disks from the OEM version that came with the old computer - but they are 3.5" disks and I don't have a disk drive on this computer. Any suggestions? I do have a CD burner on the old computer so I could copy the 3.5" disks to it, but will that work?

I will only be using Office on the new computer. The hard drive on the old computer will be formatted before I give it away, so there should be no licensing issues.

Thanks

Re: Installing Office 2000 Upgrade on New Computer

If you successfully upgraded from 97 to 2000 on the old computer, then there should be no reason you can't do it on the new computer. I don't think copying the '97 installation diskettes to a CD will work. Do you have access to a USB diskette drive that you could plug into your machine to get past the verification? That would probably be the easiest solution.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

To qualify to upgrade, you must "show" only the first installation (setup) diskette of qualified product (ie MS Office 97). I suggest to get USB flash memory drive (names are vary, but it is small and relatively cheap device that you can connect to USB port and the computer "sees" it as logical drive) - it is handy device anyway to copy files from one computer to another - and on computer with floppy drive copy the first (and, if you want, second etc) floppy to USB drive. Then you can easily move these files to your new computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. I copied the diskette to the USB drive and it worked fine. You guys are the best!