Thanks

Dash key in word. (Word 2000)

I have an odd request. When I use Word 2000 and want to use the dash in lower case I get a wide dash. If I go back to it I can highlight it and hit the dash key again and get a shorter dash, which I prefer. Is there a way that I can set up my Word 2000 so that every time I hit the dash key in lower case I will get the shorter dash? Please reply.
    Catz

Thanks

Re: Dash key in word. (Word 2000)

In the Tools menu, click auto correct. Find the 'autoformat as you type' tab. You need to uncheck the box that says 'replace hyphens with dash'. What is happening is that Word thinks that a proper dash looks better than a hyphen. (I agree, but it's fine if you don't.) It is programmed by default to put a dash in place of a hyphen. It only does it where there are spaces both sides of the hyphen, and once you have completed the next word. It shouldn't change a hyphen to a dash in a hyphenated word like time-limited. It should - in cases like that. But if you don't like it, that's how you can turn it off.

Ian

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Ian (although the box actually says "replace symbol characters with symbols"). The "longer" dash is an en dash, which is used to separate words. For a break in a sentence

Thanks

Thanks Guys, I have it the way like it now. Happy Thanksgiving
    Catz

Thanks

I now have Word 2003 where the box does say 'replace hyphens with dash'. I had a sneaky suspicion that it used to say something different in Word 2000, but I didn't have access to a copy to check. And I've now learned something about sorting that I didn't know.

Ian