Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Notebook surge protectors

Who makes the best notebook surge protectors?

APC has models PNOTEPROC6 and PNOTEPROC8, for 3 and 2 pin respectively.

Are those the best?
    Any other recommendations?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Notebook surge protectors

So how many shares of APC do you own, Howard? lol

A surge protector is a surge protector - whether it is for a laptop, desktop, or TV. So the issues are its specifications and extras. The main specs are:

<UL><LI>Clamping voltage - the highest surge potential (voltage) allowed before suppression. This is often around 300 - 330Volts for the source on universal models - as most devices are these days. For 110VAC operation, 140 - 145VAC is typical - This is why I say everyone needs an UPS! - of course laptops running on batteries are already protected from most surges.

<LI>Energy Dissipation - rated in Joules - the amount of surge energy it can absorb before failure (or circuit breakers kick in) - the higher the better.

<LI>Spike Capacity - rated in Amperes - the higher the better.

<LI>Response times - the lower the better.
    [/list]Other factors include:

<UL><LI>Phone (RJ-11) protection

<LI>Network (RJ-45) protection

<LI>Video (F-Connector)

<LI>Number of Outlets

<LI>Outlet Spacing (Transformer accomodation)

<LI>Length of supply cord

<LI>Size and weight[/list]The PNOTEPROC6 has much better surge energy protection rating (600 vs 180 joules) - I'd go for the 6 if I was stuck on APC. However, the other major player is Triplett - you might want to check out any of the 4 travel models here.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I have no need to use APC when I am travelling, or when the notebook is not hooked to my other systems at home.
    My mutual funds might own APC shares, dunno how many.

I would only need a UPS for the notebook if, as is likely, I develop the habit of using the notebook downstairs, whilst away from the other computers, UPS and network.

Are there UPS small enough to be considered for travel purposes?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Saw the two relevant travel surge protectors at triplite site, have not yet compared specs to APC, but here are two comments:

1. both APC and Triplite limit equipment protection to only US and Canada, that's not good. I'll call APC to see if they have an extended policy.

2. Triplite does not seem to have any toll free phone numbers, for any purpose, listed in their contacts page.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many (most probably) laptops run off their battery even when the power supply is used - therefore, you normally do not need an UPS too. However, unlike my other posts concerning power strips/surge protectors for home and small office use (where my position is that surge protectors are nothing more than fancy power strips) , I do think a surge and spike protector for laptops, in particular when traveling, is a worthwhile accessory.

Besides, a travel UPS would still add significant weight - a consideration while traveling - at least by public transportation.

For your laptop at home when you take it downstairs, there are certainly some small UPS available - this little APC seems pretty neat - but I can't find it on the APC website(?) - and it seems to work on 110 only.

Belkin is another name you can trust.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

THe product listed at CompUSA is likely a discontinued product.

I'll give APC a call to see what they recommend for notebook UPS.
    A backup time of only 2-7 minutes is not really adequate, but for a notebook, if one is walking away for a while, the critter can always be unplugged and run on battery til I return.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

On my laptop as soon as the power goes out the battery kick in. Hopefully any laptop battery is going to last a few hours. I do NOT think you are going to find a UPC that is going to last longer than the laptop batteries. All you will need is a surge protector.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The triplite models (travellerc6 and travellerc8) seem to handle a lot more joules than the apc models (pnoteproc6 and pnoteproc8), but apc models have an ethernet connection, and triplite do not.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The fast majority of power outages are for less than a second - long enough to cause a PC to reboot - so a 2 - 7 minute hold time is normally enough. The idea is to allow you time to save your open files and do a graceful shutdown. For those UPSes that interact with the PC, they will communicate with the accompaning software and to an automatic shut down for you - should you be out of the room.

You are right about the Triplites not having ethernet support. SInce more and more hotels are offering high-speed, that may be an issue.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I do not use software that would enable a UPS to muck with a PC. In my envirionment that would rarely be useful.
    Worst case might be that I'm running a backup whilst asleep and I have to restart the backup.

For a notebook, if I leave something running, I would just go to battery while away.

Belkin also has travel surge protectors that appear to have an ethernet port, but only rate at 238 joules.
    Belkin web site does not appear to have an easily found statement of the equipment protection warranty, or the technical details.
    Coverage outside of the USA and Canada is necessary.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So are you back to APC or still undecided? FWIW, I have used APC's Power Chute and CyberPower's UPS manager programs and nary a problem. The APC version I use is through a serial port and the CyberPower via USB. Note that XP has its own (albeit rudimentary) UPS support.

I did not check out the prices to see how that factors in - there is always the option of using a power strip that supports RJ-45 and RJ-11 - then you could also protect a portable printer too.

Maybe it would help if you define your needs for us. Are size and weight factors? How many outlets? Universal voltage? What type of connectors? What factors are desirable? What are show stoppers?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

For home use, I'll likely go with the APC PF11VNT3.

When at home, for charging, I can plug the notebook into the UPS I already have.
    For travel, Japan and Europe must be accommodated, APC, Belkin and Triplite have models that do this.
    APC definitely has RJ-45, I think Belkin does too, but I'm not sure tet about TripLite (no toll free number).

I am not going to travel with a separate power strip or portable printer.

APC and Triplite have equipment protection only in USA and Canada.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So are you still looking for backup power (UPS) or have you settled on just surge and spike protection?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

For travelling, there's little need for UPS.

APC seems to be only one with RJ-45. See PNOTEPROC6 and PNOTEPROC8 at APC web site.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast