4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Suddenly No Sound (Windows XP SP2)

I just noticed that my sound is not working. I have Creative SB Live and all connections to speakers etc are ok. There are no ! in Device Manager and I even uninstalled the device and let XP reinstall it but still no sound. I think this is new and wonder if Zone Alarm firewall could be the problem. I still am trying to understand all the warnings etc that ZA gives but it seems there is a relatively frequent one about a win32 device [not very helpful, I know]. I am at a loss as to what to try. I checked all the things in the Windows troubleshooter. Any ideas?

TIA
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Suddenly No Sound (Windows XP SP2)

Is the Volume truned down on the speakers and are they turned on?
    Has the "Muted" setting been turned On?
    Has the Volume setting within the "Volume Control" been turned down?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Shery,
    I don't think ZA or any other firewall will give you problems with sound. The items mentioned in the above post may be more likely the culprit.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sherry

I keep on being surprised just how many separate volume control panels there are lying around in XP!

It would be worth checking at least:
    * any volume control icon in the System Tray at the bottom-right of the screen (you may have to click on the "Show Hidden Icons" round arrow button)
    * the Volume tab in "Sounds and Audio Devices" in Control Panel
    * any others you come across

It's unlikely that the Volume Controls in QuickTime, Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, etc would have any effect except on the stuff they play.

You've already been round Device Manager and checked connections, so that's about all I can suggest!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, No to everything. Mute is off, Volume is as high as I can make it both on the speakers and in Volume Control. Didn't there used to be a way to see if there were any "conflicts" in Device Manager? I can't seem to find it in XP. I just can't imagine what could be causing this.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

Thanks

Right click "My Computer, click properties>hardware>device manager.
    Look for any yellow flags showing in the list of devices. Any conflicts will show there.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Sherry,

Here's a search of the MS KB for Troubleshooting sound in xp. Lots of things to check.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WoW! There is a lot to check! I will get busy checking as soon as I get home tonight. I was trying to remember what I had been doing recently and I wondered if installing the Sun Java engine could have done it?

Thanks again.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Sherry,

Another thing you can check if Creative SB Live comes with the Surround Mixer software are all the settings in that environment.

Whenever I have lost sound it is usually because the settings got changed in the mixer.

Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,
    Funny you should mention that because I went looking for the SoundBlaster mixer etc. and couldn't find it. I couldn't even find a Creative folder. I'm thinking that before I had XP I used to load all that by using the SoundBlaster CDs. Since XP I haven't bothered. I thought about using the CDs to install the software but was afraid it might load a bad driver or something.

Administrator
    Thanks

You'd be better off checking the Creative site for their latest drivers and software.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, but do you think Creative is an issue since all the software isn't installed? Or should I install it to get access to more controls?

Administrator
    Thanks

Both. The latest Creative driver is most likely better plus you should be able to get the control options.

Joe
    Joe