2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Data Validation Stopped Working?? (XL 2002)

Can anyone offer a clue as to why my template has stopped offering drop-down lists in the cells I've set to use data validation??
    If I cut and paste the sheet to a new file, the validation works. But I can't find any options to reset so it works in the existing file!!??
    All suggestions eagerly considered.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Data Validation Stopped Working?? (XL 2002)

This sounds like corruption in the workbook. First, make a copy of the workbook as the following may cause some of the formatting to be lost. Now, use File/Save As to save the workbook in HTML format. Close Excel and start it back up. Open the HTML file and save it back in .xls format. Now see if the problem is gone. You may have to reapply the validation as that is one of the things that may be lost.

If the above does not help, then try Jan Karel's suggestions in <!post=This Post,290455>This Post<!/post>.
    Legare Coleman

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Data Validation Stopped Working?? (XL 2002)

David,

I too have seen examples like this recently.
    My office is in the prcess of transition from Office 97/NT to office 2002/XP and the error seems to be more prevalent when the same file is opened on different versions, and some PC's are more suspect than others.
    Any of the offending files (where the data validation has stopped working), also work well when moved to differnt PC's.

In one case I had a corrupt excel file (Received in that state!), in the other case I think that the office 97/Nt build PC has been patched too many times to be reliable. As the PC will be rebuilt I did not investigate further.

As to a clue why - Nothing definitive, I sure hoipe someone can help too.