Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Form position (2002)

Hi,

I have a form that when it opens it comes up behind the switchboard. It's driving me nuts. I've searched under properties see if there is a place that I can set to have it on top but I don't see anything. I hesitated even posting this as I'm sure its a no brainer but I finally caved.

Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form position (2002)

You need to explore the properties of the forms, particularly the popup and modal properties. A popup form stays on top even when the focus is somewhere else. To get around that, you need code to hide the popup form and then make it visible again when the other form object closes.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,

Neither form was set to popup. Based on your explanation I set the problem form's popup to yes and that is keeping it on top. That kept it on top, but when reports were run they were behind the form. I then set it to model = yes and popup to no and that seems to take care of it. I don't "understand" why this one form is an issue so it frustrates me, but at least its working.

Thanks,
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In your first post, you mentioned a form and a switchboard, nothing about reports. If you set the form to modal, you won't be able to print your report when it's previewed. Keep in mind that modal holds the focus, even if it is not the top object on the screen. Popup means that it stays on top even if it doesn't have the focus. In 2002, reports also have popup and modal properties, which complicates things even further. You can manage this best by using code behind the objects to hide the popup/modal object, which allows the focus to go to another object and lets that object float to the top. Then you need code to make the hidden object visible again when the currently visible object is closed.

Oh, and forms opened as dialogs are popup and modal, even if the properties aren't set that way.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,

I get your point re opening and closing the form that should/shouldn't be seen with code. Oftentimes I do that. In this instance I don't want the switchboard closed but could live with it if I had to. Where I'm confused is your comment re not being able to print reports if the form is model. I've had no problem printing reports in preview when the from is in model. If this isn't supposed to happen, it is????

Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your mixing a couple of things up. I said nothing about closing the form, I referred to setting its visible property to false to hide it. If you close it, it doesn't matter what its modal settings are. If you have it open and visible and the form is modal, then even if the report is on top, you shouldn't be able to get to the menu to print it from the preview. If you are printing directly from the form rather than from the report's preview, the modality of the form is irrelevant.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,

Got ya on the visible/close piece. Even with that said the form is model (as are many other in the database) pop up is "no" and I can get to the file toolbar menu to print the report when its in print preview.

Leesha