balding_ape

Edit/Links & Relative/absolute linking.

Hi,
    I'm looking for some help. I link pictures to Word files over a network, and I we have specific file location conventions. One folder contains finished documents, and the folder beneath it contains revisions.

We just upgraded recently to Word 2k (SR1), and when we try to compose/revise in the Revisions folder, linking graphics, and then switch the file into the finished documents folder, all the links break.

I understand that this would happen with relative linking...and in some cases, at least Word uses relative linking. The question is:

Is there any way to control if Word uses relative linking or absolute linking? If not, on what basis does Word decide to make links absolute or relative?

Thanks so much for any help!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Edit/Links & Relative/absolute linking.

You haven't specified what type of network you're using. however if it is Netware then check out this post.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=37539&Search =true&Forum=wrd&Words=Granville&Match=Username&Sea rchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=37412>UNC</A>
    Granville

balding_ape

Sorry, didn't know the type of network was important...it is Windows NT, not NetWare. I don't really think that this is a network issue...all our network drives are mapped to drive letters and use the absolute path...it's Word that is using the relative path (once again, I think...).

Thanks much, anyway, though. Any other ideas?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried locking the link (Ctrl + F11) before putting in the revisions folder?
    Karen

balding_ape

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with this functionality...where in Word would I press Ctrl + F11?

Thanks,

Andrew

balding_ape

Sorry...nevermind. Just figured it out. This option may work for us in this situation, but it makes it difficult to update documents while conserving disk space. Thanks for your help!

Does anyone know if there is a way that you can select if links are absolute or relative, or does Word make this choice for you, according to its own methods?