Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Express (Version 6)

Can anyone help me with .dbx files? I did a restore (from MS back up) for my email addresses after a hard drive crash. I got the addresses back in a readable form and into the current OE address book, but all the folders I'd created for various "keepable" emails are in My Documents (where I save messages, etc.) with dbx extensions and I can't open them. They do not appear under "Local Folders" in the current OE either.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Outlook Express (Version 6)

OE looks for its mailboxes under a deep subfolder similar to:

cocuments and SettingsUsernameLocal SettingsApplication DataIdentities{LongGUIDValue}MicrosoftOutlook Express

You need to be viewing hidden files and folders (in Windows Explorer, Tools>Folder Options..., View tab) in order to drill down. You can rename your existing DBX files and copy the backups into there, and when you start OE, it should be rolled back to your backup. I say "should" because I've never confirmed it for myself. If you search this board for "identities" or other related keywords, you probably will find more guidance.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Jefferson. I will try the 'identities' search you suggested, but wanted to clarify one point in your directions first:

"copy the backups into there" Do you mean that I copy the backup dbx folders into that long string you provided (found once I reveal hidden files and folders)?

Linda

Thanks

I hope an OE user can elaborate; I don't really have the ability to test this out.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I do NOT see what OS you are running, the BEST method of finding where your current OE file are is to do a Search.
    Open the Search (Windows key+ F) and type in the following without quotes "*.dbx".
    On a Windows XP machine the path would be

Cocuments and Settings<font color=red>UserName</font color=red>Local SettingsApplication DataIdentities{<font color=red>LonngNumber</font color=red>}MicrosoftOutlook Express

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Oops, sorry, Dave, forgot the OS. It's Windows XP Home so your path should work fine. Will work my way through your and Jefferson's suggestions and let you know what happens by return post here.

My understanding is to copy the back up dbx folders currently in My Documents into the correct path (checking it first as Dave suggested). This should put them where they belong and allow them to show up in under Local Folders in OE. Have I got it right?

Linda

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"Have I got it right?" YES

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Gotcha. Thanks for confirmation. Hope to tackle that task over the weekend. Will post progress here.

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by IreneLinda on 29-Nov-04 17:29. Added P.S.)</P>Back with a need for further clarification.

Did the search for .dbx as Dave outlined, after ensuring search included hidden files and folders. Results indicated that all dbx folders were in My Documents. I did change where OE saves its folders (can't remember how exactly) on the advice of a Lounger in a different Lounge who said it makes it easier to ensure you have all your OE stuff when you back up, as most of what I need to back up is in My Documents.

The folders listed in OE under "Local Folders" only contain new messages (i.e., post new computer set up). Can't tell where the backed up messages have gone. And there are 2 folders found by searching that I don't understand: they are:
    - Offline.dbx
    - Folders.dbx
    - Pop2uidi.dbx
    None of these shows up under "Local Folders" in OE.

Does any of this make sense to you? I know it has me thoroughly confused! Not sure what to do next.

P.S. Forgot to ask also ; Why would a "DPE.DUS" file (which I discovered was for Readiris Font Dictionary) be in My Documents after that original back up restore? And do I need to do anything about it?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

After my most recent post (for further clarification) today, I just had a horrible thought. Could I NOT have backed up the original dbx files by maybe only doing a back up of obvious (to me) things such as My Documents and Desktop? So what I think are back up files are really the new files? Their dates make that seem likely as none of the folders' contents are dated prior to the new machine.

The only argument against this is that, on the crashed computer, the OE files' location had been changed to My Documents, just as on the new computer. Surely that would mean that the back up would pick them up, even if it only backed up My Documents.

Is there a way to check the CD to see exactly what files were backed up?

Just thought these ideas might add to what I'd said earlier today.

Linda

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What and how was this back up run?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Let's see if I can explain it to you. I made a back up CD using MS Back Up. I truly can't remember exactly what I backed up. It was all contained on just one CD - I'm pretty sure I just selected items to back up that were obvious to me, a techno-twit (i.e., My Documents, Desktop), but again I'm not too sure as it was a number of weeks ago. Then, when that hard drive died and was replaced by a whole new computer, I used the back up program's restore facility to get the material onto this new machine.

Is that what you meant? I'm sorry to be so dense about this.

Linda

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This is what I wanted to know. Between you and me, you need to get a better method of backing up your data, MS Backup is on the very bottom of my list.

With this back up we do not know what files dbx files you back up and if they are even any good.

Can you list out the files that are on the CD with their file dates?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Phew! I've been trying to open the folder to check its contents, but am not having any luck. Right clicking on back up folder offered options of opening using either WordPad or NotePad, but neither worked: messages indicated the file was "too big to open" with either. So tried to check Internet to find program to use and was amused to see that the Windows site didn't recognize the file extension (bkf) - Microsoft's own back up program! Tried to use Word but system seemed to hang with message at bottom of blank Word screen saying "running virus scan". Had to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get out of that.

Any ideas how I can check what's in this folder beyond what I've tried? Could this be why you don't use MS BackUp?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Ok, you have use the REAL MS Backup, which makes a single compressed file. It can ONLY be read by the restore program. If you have restored these file then that is all you have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast