Thread: Protection (XP)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Protection (XP)

I know that Excel allows us to protect certain cells to prevent users from editing the protected cells. Can this apply to Words (i.e. certain section of the words are locked to prevent users from deleting it? Or is there any best way to this?

Min

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Protection (XP)

You can insert section breaks (Insert | Break) in a document to divide it into different parts. You can then protect individual sections for forms (Tools | Protect Document..., Forms option, click Sections...)

In protected sections, users can only edit the contents of form fields (display the Forms toolbar to insert and edit form fields), ordinary text cannot be edited. In unprotected sections, users can edit the text. There are some restrictions on what users can do in a protected document.

Note: in Word 2003, you have much more control over protecting parts of a document than in all versions up to and including Word 2002/XP.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (9.5 KB, 0 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi HansV

Thanks for your reply.

I've got one more question. My word file contain some link which I've change it to manual update. I notice that after protecting the section that you've taught me, I'm unable to update the link via Edit/Link. Instead I've to go to the link area and right click on it to update the link.

Is there any way to do a mass update of the link files than to do it one by one?

Regards
    Min

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can create a macro that updates all fields in the document:

Sub UpdateAll()
    ActiveDocument.Fields.Update
    End Sub

and assign it to a custom toolbar button and/or keyboard shortcut.