4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Size Limitations (Office 2003 SP1)

I need to combine eight text delimited files into one flat database. I've been looking for the file size limits for Word and WordPad, to determine which will work best. I haven't come up with anything, other than that WordPad doesn't have the same limits as NotePad. Does anyone know where to find this info?

TIA
    egghead

Thanks

Re: File Size Limitations (Office 2003 SP1)

See <!mskb=211489>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 211489<!/mskb>. Applies to Word 2000, 2002, 2003. Haven't been able to find any documentation for WordPad.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

When you say "database" do you simply mean a text file?

And when you say "combine" do you mean "concatenate", i. e. stick all the files together, one after another, without altering the contents?

If both of these apply, you can simply use the COPY command in a Command Prompt window:

COPY file1.txt+file2.txt+file3.txt+file4.txt+file5.txt+ file6.txt+file7.txt+file8.txt all8files.txt

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you! That's great info. Do you remember what you used for search terms? I didn't come up with anything like this...
    egghead

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I say "flat database" I'm just specifying not an Access relational database. More like remaining a .csv or even an Excel file. And I do mean to combine them into one file, or concatenate.

<hr> COPY file1.txt+file2.txt+file3.txt+file4.txt+file5.txt+ file6.txt+file7.txt+file8.txt all8files.txt <hr>

Quick questions on the above, as it's a new process for me: is there a space between "copy" and the first file? And after "file8.txt"?
    Is "all8files.txt" where I create my file name?
    The example show ".txt" so then it's associated with Notepad and subject to the file limitations, right? Can I use this process with .rtf or .doc files, too?

Thanks!
    egghead

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is a space between Copy and file1.txt, and also a space between file8.txt and all8files.txt. You can replace all8filtes.txt by the path and file name of your choice.

This process will only work correctly with plain text files, not with .rtf, .doc or .xls files etc. Although the standard association for .txt files is with Notepad, you can view and edit large text files with many text editors, such as WordPad, MS Word etc. You can even change the association of .txt files if you like, so that they are opened automatically in WordPad, for example.

Thanks

I can understand not wanting to use Access, but... a single-table database is a "flat" database, and most Office application can extract data from an .MDB file without the user having to have Access, so it's actually not a bad choice for medium-large volumes of data. (But if you don't have Access in the first place, never mind!)

Thanks

You're welcome. Searched (advanced) the KB - product: MS Office Word 2003 - for: "file size"
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions