Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Pre-upgrade question (2003 Pro)

I currently have Office 2000 Pro (SP-3) installed. I am considering moving up to Office 2003 Pro and I have a few questions:

1) Can I/Should I install Office 2003 over the top of my current Office 2000 installation?
    2) Big concern is not losing my "outlook.pst" file and/or being able to smoothly import into the new Outlook 2003. - Advice??
    3) Any other important bits of advice, short of "don't do it, keep Office 2000"? hehe

Thanks,

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pre-upgrade question (2003 Pro)

Jeff

When installing Office 2003 it will give the option of uninstalling Office 2000 or having both versions on your computer. Unless you specifically want 2 versions of Office I recommend choosing the option to uninstall the old version as there can be problems with 2 versions of Office installed. Installing over the top of a previous version will also pick up settings from the old version.

Outlook 2000 will be uninstalled when you install Outlook 2003 as there can only be one version of Outlook installed. The installation program should automatically use your current outlook.pst file in the new version of Outlook. To be safe it is best to backup the file beforehand.

Other recommendations - back up your system before installing Office 2003 just to be safe. If the version of Office 2003 you are installing does not include SP1 then install the update as well.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pre-upgrade question (2003 Pro)

Tony,

Just wanted to say thanks for the encouraging information. Everything worked out fine. Now, to try and get acclimated to the new format!

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator