Thread: Count (2000)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Count (2000)

Hi, Access is very new to me. First can any one tell me where I can go to find the formulas that access uses? The problem I

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Count (2000)

You can create expressions in Access queries, forms and reports - they are the equivalent (more or less) of formulas in Excel. You can use functions in expressions, but they are not the same as Excel worksheet functions. Access has an Expression Builder that helps you to create expressions. Type expression builder in the Answer Wizard to learn how to use it.

Access is very different from Excel; there is a Count function, but no COUNTA function. If you explain what you want to accomplish, we may be able to offer more specific help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me. What I'm trying to do is with in a query try to find a way for access to tell us how many employees are working for each employer. I set the criteria for lets say John It will give me all the employees for John but I still have to count them by hand. We would like it so if you typed in the employer is would tell you how many employees they have working under them.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Create a new query based on your table.
    Add the Employer field and the Employee field to the query grid.
    Select View | Totals, or click the Totals button on the toolbar.
    Leave the Totals option for the Employer field as Group By, and set it to Count for the Employee field.
    Now switch to datasheet view.
    Is this what you wanted?