Thread: Lost CD drive

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost CD drive

I have just (Monday) installed Win 2000 on a new hard drive (the old one died) and at first all went well but then I had a total lockup and had to power off to get anywhere.

Now my bios recognises my CD reader and CD writer but windows explorer cannot find them and the desktop icons I installed give an error message "This folder was moved or removed"

My local computer store (there is only one) has no idea of the problem and the MB KB search was a waste of two hours (which hurts when you on a 14.4 connection with a 56K modem and pay by the minute)

Thanks

Re: Lost CD drive

How did you go about replacing that old drive with the new?
    What OS did you have on the old drive?
    Did you reinstall the drivers for the two CD drives after using the new HD?
    If you look at Device Manager, do you see the two CD drives and what is their letter designation now? Is it the same as before? The same as the desktop shortcuts you made? Are there any yellow flags that show a problem?

More detail is needed to help you out of the problem. Please try to give as much info as you can.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

I had the local computer vendor sell me the drive and physically install it then install windows 2000, Word 2000 and all the utilities for the hardware (motherboard, modem, sound card, CDs etc) using my disks. All this software was originally on the old drive.

After this I loaded Mozilla, OpenOffice etc. The crash occurred when I was transferring my music from CDs to hard drive. Again all this and more was on the old drive.

Drivers were re-installed.

Found device manager and yes there are yellow flags

The error message that goes with both yellow falgs is that the drivers are missing.

I will reload the drivers after work tonight and report further

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ok - home now

First I went on the net to get the latest drivers - Pioneer say Win 2K includes all necessary drivers and the Asus site had an update which I downloaded.

I followed the details in the windows device driver and Add /Remove hardware screens and got the following error -

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

I have run the error message in both MS Support and Google and got nowhere - there was an item in the MS KB but it involved registry entries and that is not an area I am happy to try and use as I do not know what statements like ""Locate the device type that is reporting the error 31, and the view the upper filter or lower filter entries."" mean.

I have tried all sorts of things in the Add /Remove hardware and trouble shooting screens ( and rebooted every time it called for it) but got nowhere at all

Microsoft windows 2000
    Service Pack 2
    Computer:
    AMD Athalon XP1800+
    AT/AT Compatible
    1,048.048 KB RAM

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

More information, please:

1. Which device(s) reported an error? How this device is named in Device Manager and what it is physically (model and manufacturer)? - Sometimes Device Manager recognizes a device incorrectly and load the wrong driver because of it.

2. Did you download the newest driver for this device? Is it in compressed form (EXE or ZIP) or it is a folder with several files with INF file among them?

3. Did you try to update driver from Device Manager (right-clicking the device and choosing "Update driver" from pop-up menu)? Did you get any error messages during this procedure?

By the way, Service Pack 4 for Windows 2000 contains newer drivers than SP-2, but it is better to check device manufacturer web page for the latest one.

Thanks

Yes, Pioneer (according to everything that I have read) uses generic Windows drivers for their drives, so logically, Win2000 should install the correct drivers. Are both of the CD drives connected via the same ribbon cable? If so, is it possible that both of them are configured (jumpered) as Master OR both as Slave instead of one as Master and the other as Slave? If so, this could be the problem.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

The only resolution I found is probably the same one you mention, where you must edit the registry.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlCl ass{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlCl ass{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    If you drill down in reg edit to the location mentioned, ( be VERY CAREFUL finding the EXACT code string stated . That's the one enclosed in the { } )
    Highlightingselecting this string will show an Upper and Lower Filter value in the right hand screen. By moving over to the value in the right screen and right clicking them , you can delete both filter values as suggested.

BEFORE you do this,
    If you want some insurance in case you make an error, you can highlight that same string, then click on files>export. This will ask you where you want to export this to. Give the export a name like filters.reg and OK. Remember where you saved this. This will make a copy of that item that you can IMPORT back into the reg if necessary.
    Just take your time and make sure you have the right one.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - I am learning about registry before I go further (my religion is confirmed coward) and will probably try and work on it tomorrow.

Will advise further then