5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Blank pages printed (Word 2000/Windows98)

Hello loungers
    A colleague has a problem where a letter she's typed in Word 2000 only prints as a blank page. Doing a search of the lounge, I've found something very similar here but the thread just ends with no resolution. I don't know if my colleague can't highlight the text but the sequence was : copied a photo from email into a word document, played around resizing etc and printed which worked OK. Then created a letter (don't know if in the same instantiation of Word or a new session) and tried to print. Got an error message "which contained the word 'iillegal'" and was offered Retry or Cancel. Accepted Retry and a blank page printed. Now everything in Word just prints blank page. Print outputs from other applications (a Christmas Card producer) print OK.
    Seems to me that something seems to have become corrupted in the Word/printer interface but I don't know what. Can any lounger think of what might bethe problem, please.
    Thanks
    Silverback

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Blank pages printed (Word 2000/Windows98)

Since the problerm does not seem to be confined to a single document, I recommend your colleague to take a look at Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Blank pages printed (Word 2000/Windows98)

Ahem. Problem solved - the printer black cartridge had dried up through non use although full of ink!
    In my defence, the colleague had not given me all the details that the document was going through the motions of printing but nothing being printed - the impression given over the phone was that the blank page was just being thrown. Further throwing off the trail came when the colleague said that a new print cartridge had not cured the problem; when I visited my colleague yesterday, I found out that the cartridge sealing strip had not been removed when the new cartridge had been inserted - so they reinstalled the dried up one!
    However - thanks to you, I am now aware of Phil Rabichow's excellent systematic guide to problem solving, so some good has come out of this, at least for me.
    I wonder if Phil wants to add - Check printer cartridge is working - to his guide?
    PS : The other application printing was a red herring, as was the error message containing the word 'illegal', which seems to be related to another, completely different problem which wasn't mentioned; a good example of how problem solving by telephone has a tendency to be non systematic.
    Thanks for your interest and help, Hans.
    Silverback