New Lounger
    Thanks

Creating a linked Order Sheet (Excel 2003)

My question is, how do I create an externally linked ordersheet that automatically updates everytime a client clicks on an item (that's on a seperate workbook)?

For example, I have 2 workbooks - catalogue.xls and order.xls . What i want is for my customers to be able to look at the items available in catalogue.xls, and when they see an item that they want to order, all they have to do is to click on it, and the data in that highlighted row will be ported over to order.xls.

Is it possible to automate a click by putting a 'X' in a cell next to their selection, then use a 'complete order' button to move the data to an order form on a seperate workbook?

thank you so very much!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating a linked Order Sheet (Excel 2003)

I have attached a zip file with two workbooks. The Catalogue.xls workbook contains a protected sheet, only the Quantity cells are unlocked. The user can enter the number of product(s) wants to order, then click the command button. Activate the Visual Basic Editor to view the code.

You will have to adapt the code to your situation.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi thanks a million for the worksheets!

I've modified them to add more columns and such - however, is it possible to code the VBA in a way such that so long as there is an entry into one of two designated columns ( A or B - currently the code just allows one colomn to be entered), the macro will automatically port the changes over to the Order.xls sheet?

thanks again. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could write code for the Worksheet_Change event, but I'm not sure it would be a good idea. If every change would be written to the Order.xls workbook, that would mean that each mistake the user makes also gets copied to Orders.xls. By using a command button, the user can enter the necessary values, check them, and click the command button when he/she is satisfied they're correct.