Thanks

Edting signatures (OL 2003)

While setting up a couple of email signatures to use in Outlook, I found the button that said 'Advanced Edit'. Curious, I clicked it, and it warned me that this would open an editor that was not part of MS Office. I OKed that and it opened Open Office. Why? And what would it have used had I not had Open Office (as well as MS Office) installed?

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Edting signatures (OL 2003)

Outlook stores three versions of a signature file:
    .txt for plain text messages
    .rtf for rich text format messages
    .htm for HTML messages.
    The "Advanced Edit" button will open the application that is associated with the extension of the selected signature, usually NotePad for .txt, Word for .rtf and whatever has been set as your HTML editor in your browser. Apparently, one of these extensions has become associated with Open Office on your PC.

Thanks

Re: Edting signatures (OL 2003)

Thanks, Hans. In File associations, when I looked at the HTM file extension and followed up what program would be launced by the edit command, it said it was "....OFFICE11msohtmed.exe" %1 (whatever that may be). But in IE, as you correctly suggested, Open Office was set as the HTML editor, for some reason. When I installed it I thought I had specified that it wasn't to be the default program for anything.

Ian