Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Wierd Export Behaviour (Outlook 2003)

When I export contact data to Excel it exhibits a very strange behaviour. Here are some examples of the name field:

Ann & Andy
    Pat & Alan
    Don &
    Todd &

(The last two entries should have been Don & Ann, and Todd & Jane for example).

For some wierd reason it drops all text after the "&" in some records and not in others! Looking at the entries in the Outlook contact list I don't see any difference in the way the names are entered.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Wierd Export Behaviour (Outlook 2003)

I'm not very familiar with exporting to Excel. Is this a CSV file? Excel probably works hard to slot the data into separate fields by examining every character. Word might give you a better view of anything odd in the export file. What does it look like if you open it in Word?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

So far here is what I've found:

1. The problem exists when exporting to Access, Excel, or CSV (which actually ends up exporting an Excel file)

2. The same occurs when starting with Word's merge-to-labels feature and importing from the Outlook Contacts list.

In other words, the problem is consistent throughout. Some records with an ampersand work OK, most of them don't. I'm really boggled by thisl, as this is the sort of thing that computers normally don't do. I've opened both types using the Outlook Contacts edit feature, and I can see no difference between them. What a puzzlement! It seems to me that there has to be some hidden character or something similar in some of the records, but I don't know how to reveal it.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Some additional info. Iif I go into my Outlook Contacts folder and re-enter the names with an ampersand, then they seem to work OK. Why this occurs I don't know, but at least I now know how to fix the problem even it if means a lot of reentry into my Outlook folders.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds as if you have moved a PST file from a previous version of Outlook into Outlook 2003. The Contacts created in 2003 export as intended. The older Contacts do not always do so. Is that indeed the case? (As you may remember, MS changed the format of PST files (which had previously been the same for many versions) with Outlook 2003.) If that is the case, you may have a friend who is still running a previous version of Outlook. You could try exporting the Contacts using their version of Outlook, trimming the CSV file down to the "problem case" and then re-importing it into your PST using CSV. You should have the option of overwtiting your existing entries. As ever, backup first! HTH
    Gre

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I believe that's exactly the case as I had previously been using Outlook 2000 when I upgraded and imported into Outlook 2003.

Re-entering the data seems to cure the problem, but I have a lot of names in there so it's going to take quite some time to make the corrections. i don't have any decent access to someone running the older version of Outlook, but thanks for the suggestion.