3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ctrl+Click to execute hyperlink (Office2003)

Hi

I've just installed Office 2003 and discovered (as others have) that you have to Ctrl+Click a hyperlink to execute it (rather than just Click, as in Office97).

Although this behaviour can be changed back to the 97 approach (through Tools|Options), I'm interested to know why Microsoft have made the change.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ctrl+Click to execute hyperlink (Office2003)

According to WD2002: Cannot Click to Activate Hyperlink,
    <hr>CAUSE
    This is a design change in Microsoft Word and is consistent with some other Microsoft Office programs; for example, Microsoft FrontPage.<hr>
    I think the reason for this change is to make it easier to edit a hyperlink. With the old behavior, clicking in the hyperlink immediately activated it, making it difficult to edit it. In Internet Explorer, you cannot edit a hyperlink, so there is no reason for Ctrl+Click.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If I remember right it appeared in Office XP (2002) if NOT in 2000. For some of us, it has been around for a some time.

I agree with Hans, as to one of the biggest complaints about links was the editing of them, and this was the major reason for the change. Another reason was the fact that people were being sent to places they did not want to go by using the single click.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Dale,

I agree with the others about using Ctrl+Click so as to allow ease of editing.

Actually the first time I saw this, if I recall, was in a product called Trellix. This allowed one to create web based documents and maps but I won't go into details. Version 2 had Ctrl+click to follow links in authoring mode (just click in the Trellix Viewer mode) and it came out in 1998. I don't recall if version 1 also had this but I think it did.

Ever since then, I wondered why other SW creators didn't do this also. Editing a link, as others indicated, was always a PITA.

Fred

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm with you on this one Dale. I mean, how hard is it to put the cursor over a hyperlink and right click? But at least there's a setting to change the default. As for consistency, try executing a hyperlink in PowerPoint or Visio - you have to use a completely different view!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the comments.