Silver Lounger
    Thanks

linking to movies (XP+)

Hi All,

I need to make a presentation on another PC later this week. I've been working on my home PC to create the movie and presentation and will burn them, as part of 1 folder, to a CD. I have a concern about linking the movie to the presentation.

I noticed that when I fill in the "hyperlink to file" in the Action Settings dialog, ppt fills in an absolute path for the file when the movie was not in the same folder as the ppt but only the file name if it is. This seems reasonable enough.

But in the post I found (<post#=275492>post 275492</post#>) when searching for this, there was a suggestion that the movie had to be in the same folder when the pres was created. In my case, the movie was in another folder to begin with and worked fine. Then I removed the link from the ppt, moved the movie to the same folder as the ppt, and relinked. Things still worked fine. I plan to burn the CD with the ppt and movie in the same folder. Rather than running from the CD, I plan to copy the folder from the CD to the other PC's hard drive.

Is there some shortcoming in my plan that I need to be aware of?

TIA.

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: linking to movies (XP+)

You should be fine - the issue is if you move it to another PC, the path to the movie would probably change, and you would get an error when you tried to run the presentation.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You should be in good shape. I'd only recommend putting the folder onto the C drive proper, or maybe on the other system's desktop.

This is because there is a path-length limit to linked multimedia files, and you don't want to exceed that. http://www.echosvoice.com/tshoot_video2.htm has more info on multimedia gotchas.

Of course, you'll want to use the most compatible media file you can. For videos, MPEG1 usually works pretty well.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Echo, Wendell,

I think I'm pretty much squared away. Probably putting my folder on the C: drive on my PC when I do the linking is a good idea since I know the other PC will have a C: drive also. The PC I'm working on at home is XP and, I'm pretty sure, the one where the pres will be given is XP too; still, they may have different paths to the desktop. But it's unclear if this should matter since the linking, when performed between 2 files in the same folder regardless of where the folder is, seems to link to a relative name (ie, to "movie.mpeg" and not to "C:....desktopmy_foldermovie.mpeg").

I also checked your site. Most of the things I can't do since I can't play with the other PC. However, I had originally rendered the movie as an mpeg1 and found the quality to be lacking. So, I rendered it as an mpeg2 and it looks pretty good (the movie was captured from a VHS tape so quality was already suffering to begin with).

THanks all.

Fred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

By putting your video into the same folder with the presentation before inserting it into the presentation, you've created a relative link. So you won't have to worry about moving the folder to the same exact path on the other system. Either the C drive or the desktop of the other system should be okay. If you hadn't put your video into the folder, then you'd need the exact same path on both systems (and you'd need to have both the video and PPT files in the exact same locations) -- because in that case the link would be an absolute link.

So, you've got the links sorted out, but the MPEG2 worries me. It's not unusual to find that the MPEG2 won't play on other systems. Be sure to test before you do your program, and be sure that you know where to find an MPEG2 codec on the fly because it wouldn't surprise me if the other system doesn't have one and so it won't play your video. http://www.elecard.com is a site I've seen recommended by reliable sources on the MS PPT newsgroups as a good MPEG2 codec. I believe you can use it without charge, but if you don't register/purchase it, you'll get a watermark in the corner.

Since you can't play with the other PC, I'd strongly recommend that you go back to MPEG1.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Echo,

>Since you can't play with the other PC, I'd strongly recommend that you go back to MPEG1.

Hmmm, I was thinking of that too. I don't know that we did anything special on our home PC to install an MPEG2 codec, although I do know what you're talking about.

I did check out the other system and it was running Win XP (not sure of home vs Prof) and does have Windows Media Player installed, which is what I'm using at home. Does that help ensure an MPEG2 codec?

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OK.

Time to re-read your page and re-render my movie.

Thanks.

Fred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did check out the other system and it was running Win XP (not sure of home vs Prof) and does have Windows Media Player installed, which is what I'm using at home. Does that help ensure an MPEG2 codec?

No, not really. You need to read How PPT handles multimedia (There's a link to this page from the video troubleshooting page I sent you to earlier.) Among other things, this page will give you information on common codecs. But no, you can't count on WMP to provide you with an MPEG2 codec. http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=MPEG2...p;lr=&hl=en has a wealth of information on PPT and MPEG2.