2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

data binding (ASP .NET 2003)

I'm trying to learn ASP .NET in order to develop a web application that requires some heavy data binding with a back-end SQL Server. I am experienced in ASP and VB development. Basically, what I want to do is develop a series of forms that bind to various tables in my database through their controls. e.g. a textbox on form1 should be bound to the Contact Name field in table1. The user should be able to make changes to records and scroll through records via the interface. I would think that this type of data binding is very basic but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to do it. One of the reasons I switched from ASP to .NET for this project is because doing this type of data binding in ASP requires way too much nitty-gritty coding by the developer. Please help!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: data binding (ASP .NET 2003)

Hi TJ,

There are a number of ways to accomplish this in ASP.NET.

A quick Google for asp.net databinding turned up several great articles. The one that seemed to be closest to your needs appears to be: http://www.west-wind.com/presentations/asp...databinding.asp

Also, are you using any ASP.NET books? Almost any ASP.NET book that addresses data will have some examples that will point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: data binding (ASP .NET 2003)

Thanks Mark. I do have a book and I've looked at Microsoft's online help. So far, what I've seen is a lot about the datagrid, datalist, and repeater controls but not too much on how to interact with data using the regular textbox, textarea, radio buttons etc. controls. I would have thought that the need to have interactive controls on a form (similar to what one has in an Access project or a VB application that connects to a database) would be a very common one. I took a look at the link you included (thans [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) and see that a solution to this problem is suggested. I understand, from the article, why it's difficult to do the type of data binding that I expected, but I have to admit, I"m disappointed.