Thread: Need a font

New Lounger
    Thanks

Need a font

I've recently gone into some old documents which I wrote in Word Perfect. And I used the WP font Century, which shows as Century-WP when I open the documents in Word. But nothing display. Word opens the documents with unprintable characters.
    I'm guessing that I need either something which will convert the old font to something Word can deal with, or a Word Century-Wp font which works.
    Any suggestions for where I could find that font, or how to convert the documents. And before you ask, I believe the old Word Perfect disks are long gone.

JustCallMeAl

Re: Need a font

We use a particular Word Perfect font for a (one) particular purpose at our office. When I was exploring embedding the font into the document, I learned that it was a proprietary font which we had bought and, therefore, could not embed.

This leads me to believe that in your case, you may have to purchase the font from Word Perfect.

I do, however, remember from Windows 3.1 that you could have automatic font substitution, and the setting was in one of the *.ini files for Windows. For Win 9.x and higher, I don't know how to accomplish the same thing; though I would be very surprised if you couldn't.

So, my guess is that this will have to be handled at the Operating System level.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Thanks

This may just be of some use:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q211/3/60.ASP>Q211360</A> WD2000: WordPerfect File Contains Garbled Text If Opened in Word

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. That's just what I needed. Using the recommended substitute font off the Tools>Compatibility menu worked without touching the Registry. Don't know how I missed that one.