3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Homemade Computers

Hi All,

Does anyone have links or suggestions for information on building your own PC? I would like to build a computer with my son, but am not knowledgeable about components and how to put it all together.

Any help appreciated.

Douglas

Thanks

Re: Homemade Computers

Google on "build a computer". There are many excellent articles and tutorials to be found. Your local library may also have this type of reference material.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

There is a good tutorial on customizing a computer at DIRECTRON
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Best place to start is the book "Building the Perfect PC".
    See http://www.bookpool.com/.x/k9ms491uq0/sm/0596006632.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When ready, I recommend checking out the "bundles" at MWAVE. Unlike other sites that offer bundles, they include memory in theirs (most are motherboard and CPU only). And for $9 extra, they will put the CPU and memory on the motherboard and test it for you. For those starting out like yourself, it's a pretty good warm fuzzy knowing those 3 components work and work together. I usually pull the CPU and apply silver oxide based thermal compound instead of the OEM pad that comes with the CPU fans - but that is easy to do.

Finally - continue what you are doing - ask questions - you'll get a million opinions and most are right - you just need to decide which are right for you.

The first question you need to ask now is to yourself - What will this computer be used for? Then build it from there.

Higher end motherboards offer better upgrade options in the future - you can always buy a better motherboard now and then upgrade the CPU, RAM, and Video later (many motherboards have video built on the board - although on-board video quality is only on par with entry level add-on video cards - on-board video also sections out a big chunk of system memory for its use too.

Final note, more memory and a better add-on video card will offer more performace, and bang for buck, than a faster CPU alone. The more memory a CPU has to work with (I recommend 512Mb) the less the CPU has to swap data out to the slow disk drive for temporary storage. The best video cards have lots of dedicated, fast memory on the card and a fast GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) - the more the CPU can hand off video processing responsibilities to the video card, the better as that frees up the CPU to do other important things.

Okay, one more final note. Many retailers throw in a cheap underated, poorly regulated, generic power supply in their cases, just to make a sale - even with good cases. Don't be fooled by this tatic. Buy the case for the case and get a good power supply separately or as an upgrade if you have too. You do not want to spend a bunch of money on the computer components and then throw dirty power at them.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bill (and other respondants),

Followed your advice and got a bundle from MWAVE. Got the rest of the components from NewEgg. Box is build and powered up for the first time last night. All went well until we had to reboot for the first time. The PC refuses to boot from the HD. It sees the HD, it stores data on the HD, but won't boot. Tried rearranging the boot sequence in BIOS between the CD and the HD (no floppy), but so far that has made no difference. The HD came as an OEM purchase so did not have manual or diagnostic disk. Downloaded diagnostics from Western Digital website, but have not been able to run them yet.

Any suggestions on the best way to proceed? Currently reformatting HD to lay down a new install of Win XP Home.

Douglas

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't really have any suggestions at this point - we'll have to see what happens after your fresh install.

Note - I never activate my installs until a couple weeks have passed just in case.

HDs do go bad. And most electronic devices, IF they are going to fail prematurely, do so in the first few hours of use.

Keep us informed.

Hope your MWAVE experience went well.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I see that you have started <post#=447660>post 447660</post#> in the Windows XP forum to discuss this issue, so I'll lock this thread to keep all the replies in one place.

StuartR

[Oh no I won't because I'm not a moderator in this forum]