New Lounger
    Thanks

MS Query and cubes (Excel 2000)

I am trying to get my hands on MS query. Historically, I have been using Access to clean-up the raw data, export the file into Excel then use pivot tables/charts for my reports. Then, I read about MS query and OLAP. As I understand it, for OLAP, I need a warehouse ideally a SQL server with folks who will manage the data/cubes. Also, I read that I could use Acess as a warehouse then use MS query to tap the data. How do you that? Does anybody have a sample? Thanks for your time.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Query and cubes (Excel 2000)

If you are looking to get hold of MS Query, you can activate it by opening Excel, going to the Data Menu and choosing Get External Data, and then New Database query. When the dialog opens, choose the driver for the DB you will link to, and de-select the "Use the Query Wizard to create/edit queries" check box. Choose OK. This should activate MS Query and allow you to customise a new query from this application!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Query and cubes (Excel 2000)

MS Query is supplied with MS Office, but may not be automatically installed. If it is not installed on your system, you can run Setup.exe from your Office CD and in the Office Tools section select Microsoft Query. Once installed you can, as Rudi suggested, access it via Excel's Data menu. You can also run it as a standalone program - MSQUERY32.EXE.

Andrew C