Thanks

PreferredWidth vs. Width (Word 2002 SP-2)

I was beating my head against a wall for a while today with a procedure that created a table, set the .PreferredWidth for each column, and then merged the cells in selected rows. Merging the cells in the rows always blew out the .PreferredWidth settings for the entire table (i.e., the non-merged rows reverted to equal-width columns). I got the right result if I split the procedure in two, and ran the cell-merging code as a separate follow-up (after the table had had a few seconds to rest and recuperate), but couldn't otherwise get around the problem. (I tried inserting DoEvents and several other kludges between the width-setting code and the cell-merging code, to no avail).

Now it turns out all I needed to do was change .PreferredWidth to .Width. Who knew table columns had Widths? Seems too simple.

Anyway, so my question is: Why are there these two separate properties? Is there a time to use the one and a time to use the other?

And if anyone knows how to get .PreferredWidths to "set" and "harden" to the point that a subsequent horizontal cell-merge in the same procedure won't undo them, I wouldn't mind knowing that either.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PreferredWidth vs. Width (Word 2002 SP-2)

Width is always in points, i.e. it is an absolute setting. PreferredWidth can be in points or as a percentage of the width of the table, depending on the value of PreferredWidthType, i.e, PreferredWidth can be absolute or relative.

Thanks

Re: PreferredWidth vs. Width (Word 2002 SP-2)

You might enjoy this earlier thread on preferred width in tables that contain some merged cells.

In general, it might help to think of Preferred Width as something introduced when Word tables tried to become more like HTML tables.