3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

sleepy bootup after logon (XP Pro SP1)

Just recently I have been experiencing the following:

<UL><LI>I reboot the system
    <LI>The User logon dialog comes up
    <LI>I log on
    <LI>A bit of disk activity plus the pointer + hourglass (for about 2 seconds)

<LI>Now for about 2 minutes almost nothing happens! There is an occationaly flash from the disk light (maybe 3 very quick flashes over the 2 minutes) and the pointer is always just a pointer (never an hourglass).

<LI>After the 2 minutes, the boot continues normally[/list]
    During this long wait, I can ctrl-alt-delete and bring up the task manager, so I know that the system is not frozen.

It is as if it is waiting for something for those 2 minutes. But how can I tell what?

I ran it with the boot log enabled, but that does not include times, so I couldn't use that to figure out when in the sequence it was doing its wait.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: sleepy bootup after logon (XP Pro SP1)

Paul

Are you familiar with Event Viewer? There may be something recorded there, probably in the System Event Log (much less likely the Application Event Log).

One way in is via Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer, and you want to look before the boot information (which has the word "eventlog" in the Source column) and work upwards to the most current record.

The other place to look is in Device Manager (Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Device Manager) then expand all the entries in the right-hand pane (after you've clicked on Device Manager!), and see if any look unhealthy (yellow exclamation mark).

Other suggestions, no doubt, from other people!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Event Viewer seems to be a good idea. Everything is timestamped.
    I don't see Device Manager where you suggest it is, but I opened it from Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> system -> Hardware
    and everything is clean there.

Now, looking at the Event Viewer, I see the following:
    <pre>Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer
    Information 30/11/2004 09:34:49 Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM IBM-EE0GB051819
    Warning 30/11/2004 09:32:44 Dhcp None 1007 N/A IBM-EE0GB051819
    Warning 30/11/2004 09:32:39 Dhcp None 1003 N/A IBM-EE0GB051819
    Information 30/11/2004 09:32:14 Tcpip None 4202 N/A IBM-EE0GB051819
    </pre>

And when I look at the detail for the 2 DHCP messages I see:

For the event 1003:
    Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 000000000001. The following error occurred:
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

And for the event 1007:
    Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 000000000001. The IP address being used is 169.254.198.66.

The 7035 and next few events are al Symantic NAV events.

So, any ideas from all that lot?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Paul

Sorry, path to Device Manager should have been: Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Device Manager

The DHCP messages seem significant -- have you asked your IT Help Desk to pass them on to your network guys?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm on a home wireless network. I don't think the company's network guys will be terribly interested.

Wierd thing is that the 2 minutes between events seems to occur AFTER the autoconfig has happened.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

In Windows Explorer make sure that Tools | Folder Options | View | Automatically search for network folders and printers is unchecked.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well,
    thought I ought to update y'all on what I found.

I did an IPCONFIG /ALL and discovered that the offending network adapter was the virtual network adapter set up by the VPN client that I use (AT&T Network Client).
    Regarding the timing question, it would appear that the time logged in the even viewer is the time that the event kicks off. but it is not written until the event has completed.

Anyway, as a test, I disabled the particular virtual network adapter in Network Connections before rebooting and then the only thing that held up my reboot was NAV sittting waiting with an exclamation mark on its icon. Wish I knew what caused that!

Thanks for all your help. John Gray's pointer to the Event Viewer was just what I needed.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Paul.

Occasionally, but only just, I get something right!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...