Silver Lounger
    Thanks

VLOOKUP problem (Excel 2002)

Hi

I have attached a cut down version of a larger sheet but I cannot get the VLOOKUP to work, can you help please.

Braddy
    If you are a fool at forty, you will always be a fool

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VLOOKUP problem (Excel 2002)

He Braddy

See the modified version attached.

I have changed the defined name from "lookup" to "DataTab" as it is best to avoid names that are used elsewhere (lookup is also a function name)

The VLOOKUP forumla looks in the first column of the table array to try to find the value, in your example the value to match was in the second column so I changed the range that the table array referred to from A13 to B23 (I also removed the header from the range though this usually will not matter). As the table array now only has 3 columns the VLOOKUP formula now refers to colum 3 rather than 4.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VLOOKUP problem (Excel 2002)

The lookup value (the first argument of VLOOKUP) must be in the first column of the table array (the second argument). But in your workbook, the lookup value is in the second column. That won't work. Redefine the named range lookup to refer to =Price!$B$2:$D$3. This also means that the column index (the third argument) must be 3 instead of 4, since the table array is different. See attached version.