3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Contacts: How to manage? (2000)

I used to add just about everyone to my contact list. It made sense because I could always track someone down electronically rather than rely on bits of paper and notes scribbled on the back of envelopes. I'm now at the point where I'm not adding anyone to my contacts 'cause there's just too dang many of them!

I don't want to delete anyone because I really want to maintain the connection should the need arise in the future.

Ideally, I'm looking for some method for catagorizing and cataloging my contacts. I'd like to seperate friends from family from business contacts to social contacts. Using seperate folders sounded like a good solution except that many folks fall into more than one category. Instead of getting the list of ALL contacts in Outlook, I'd like the option of starting with just my friends or business contacts. I don't want to have to sort them each time manually.

Well, that's my off-the-top-of-my-head solution, but I'll bet someone on the forum has come up with better ideas. I don't know if it helps or hinders, but I also use a Pocket PC to keep my data on the road. (On a tangent, how come there's so little traffic on the PPC forum? Surely there are LOTS of loungers who use one, no?)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Contacts: How to manage? (2000)

The magic word is Categories. If you double click a contact, note the Categories button. One contact can belong to many categories, one category can contain many contacts. From the View menu, you can display your Contacts list by category.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Contacts: How to manage? (2000)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 30-Nov-04 12:30. Corrected instruction on how to assign multiple Contacts to a single category.)</P>The best native option is for you to use Categories. Each Contact should have a Categories drop down in the lower right corner, and you can assign multiple categories.

You can select multiple Contacts and assign them all to a Category in one step by right-clicking one of the selected Contacts, and then clicking Categories in the pop-up menu.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS