Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Flipping a page (97-->)

I haven't visited the Word Lounge for a little while so apologies if this has come up before.

This is not a mission critical issue, just a wonder if can happen.

I am writing a very large report that needs to be run off to quite a few people. The majority of pages are in landscape view but dispersed amongst them are a few that have charts and diagrams that have to be in portrait view. When I print them off the top of the portrait pages are to the right and look messy as I want to staple the pages at the top left. I would like to have the document to flip these portrait pages 180 degrees so that when it is printed the top of the page is to the right. Is there a simple solution to get this done? It is just irritating to have to go through each report and then manually rotate the page.
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Flipping a page (97-->)

I don't think that Word has this capability. Sorry.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jerry,
    I'm pretty sure Hans is correct, that you can't do what you're asking from within Word.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could try to first print to file (if you have a PostScript printer), and then hack the PostScript file, using a standard text editor, like notepad. For example, to rotate the first page 180 degrees, find the line:
    <pre>%%Page: 1 1
    </pre>

and directly after it, add the line:
    <pre>180 rotate -612 -792 translate
    </pre>

After making the change, drag the postscript file (it will probably have a .prn extension, even though it's a .ps file) to your printer.
    You can find a bit more info at http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~faqomat.../cache/140.html

Thanks

Some printers accept special codes which can be sent using Word's {PRINT} field. If your printer has an escape code that means "print this page upside down" you could try that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Andrew Lockton on 01-Dec-04 09:36. Found the Rotate setting in printer properties)</P>I would investigate Jefferson's suggestion first but another possibility is to send the file to acrobat and then rotate the portrait pages there before printing. If this was a regular occurrence then you could create a javascript in Acrobat that spun around each portrait page before printing and then spun them back for viewing.

Hold the press, you can do it from Word but it is painful - There is a Rotate setting in the printer properties (may only be in Postscript printer drivers) so you can do this if you create a macro to send the portrait sections to print rotated and the landscape sections normally. Setting this up is going to take more time than spinning the output pages manually but will probably be more satisfying.

The Acrobat printer driver has a setting that appears to rotate only the landscape pages so this might be even better.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

Interesting, my HP PostScript driver offers Portrait, Landscape, and Rotated Landscape. Since Word can't set these directly from VBA (I don't think), perhaps it would be necessary to define two "printers" or to send a PostScript printer code?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

My HP printer driver has the Rotate setting but it appears to be independent of the portrait/landscape option. My Acrobat 6 driver on the other hand options appear to only rotate the landscape
    pages which makes for an interesting experiment.

It does sound promising if you can only rotate the landscape pages as the output should come out correctly if this was the case.

If the options actually work as expected it then comes down to what printer and driver the original poster is using and whether these options exist there.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia