Star Lounger
    Thanks

Inserting pictures into a form (2002/XP)

Hi,

I am putting together a form in Word 2002/XP. I have inserted several text fields which are working fine, and I have protected the form. However, I also want to include a field which enables the user to insert a picture. I can't see an easy way of doing it - does anybody have any ideas or workarounds?

Thanks, Laurie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inserting pictures into a form (2002/XP)

You could insert a MACROBUTTON field in the document. You will have to unprotect the document, insert the picture, then protect the document again in the macro executed by the MACROBUTTON. Example code:

Sub InsertAPicture()
    Dim strFile As String
    With Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker)
    .Filters.Add "Graphics files", "*.gif;*.jpg;*.png"
    .Title = "Select a picture"
    If .Show Then
    strFile = .SelectedItems(1)
    ActiveDocument.Unprotect
    ActiveDocument.InlineShapes.AddPicture strFile, , , Selection.Range
    ActiveDocument.Protect wdAllowOnlyFormFields, True
    End If
    End With
    End Sub

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Thanks for this, but it is not quite what I need the form to do. I can see that this would be an effective way of selecting an image, but if the user unprotects the form they can insert a picture by going Insert, Picture from the menu bar.

Is there a way that the form can remain protected, but the user is able to insert a picture into a part of the form. Currently I cannot find a way of specifying a field to be used for a picture. For example, if you try inserting a picture into a text field, the Insert, Picture command is greyed out.

Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is no "picture" form field.

You can leave part of a document unprotected (the Tools | Protect Document... dialog lets you specify which sections of a document are protected). The user can insert a picture in unprotected sections.

There is no way to insert a picture in a protected section of the document. You will have to unprotect the document, insert a picture, then reprotect the document. The macro I posted above shows how this can be done in code, without the user even knowing that the document was unprotected temporarily.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow I hadn't realised your code unprotected the document as well. That is great. And now I know you cannot insert pictures into a protected form, I can choose which of your 2 methods to use.

That is brilliant. Thanks for your help.

Laurie