New Lounger
    Thanks

Frontpage 2003 uploading errors (2003)

Hello,

I was referred to this board by a friend who said I might find some help. I have recently upgraded from Frontpage 2000 to Frontpage 2003. Ever since I upgraded, I have been unable to upload any files over 50kb. (I have a lot of pictures on my site). I have contacted my web server extensively, and am pretty sure it is not a server issue, but a Frontpage issue. Does anyone have any idea why it won't upload anything larger than 50kb or how to fix it? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Frontpage 2003 uploading errors (2003)

Are you getting any error messages?
    What happens if you select an individual file (>50K) to upload on its own?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Reply,

Hi, yes, I have gotten two different error messages, the most common one is: "Could not find the web server at www.vannercentral.com on port 80. Please check to make sure that the web server name is valid and your proxy settings are set correctly. If you are sure that everything is correct, the web server may be temporarily out of service." Note it only says this over 50kb, anything smaller sends right away.

I have also tried uploading just one file at 50kb or higher at a time with no success. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I wonder if your connection speed is a problem?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I had thought of that, but I can email pictures over 100kb on the same interenet connection, so I don't think speed is the issue. And it has only done this since I uploaded the new version of Frontpage, with FP 2000 and the same internet connection I had no problem. Thanks for the thought though. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Any other thoughts?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Catherine:

M.B.'s problem is bigger than you realize. It used to be that when she asked me a question and I didn't know the answer, I'd sneak over here to the WOPR forum, cop an answer, and deliver it as though I actually thought it up myself. Now I'm exposed as a fraud to my daughter. Oh, well.

Anyway, to update M.B.'s situation -- she downloaded an FTP program, and had no problem uploading the >50Kb JPEGs that way to her web site (and a few others for which she's responsible). That would seem to indicate that:

a) Her connection is not at fault (and therefore her service provider is off the hook;
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] Her web hosting service is off the hook (maybe -- are there "older" and "newer" versions of FP extensions that might have an impact here?)
    c) FrontPage 2003 is still the most likely suspect, esp. since the same problem didn't occur before her upgrade from FP2000.

I'd really like to get to the bottom of this one.

Thanks for your further input.

Regards,

Jim

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Catherine,

Forgive me, but there may be one relevant piece of data not yet mentioned. In her Florida setup, M.B. has a satellite-link, rather than cable, DSL, or dial-up. Could that have any bearing on the problem?

Jim

Thanks

I can't really think of anything more as I neither use cable or FP 2003.
    What is interesting though is that I've had a similar problem with Dreamweaver. Using Dreamweaver's publish feature (which IMHO is not as sophisticated as FP's) caused failures and timeouts all over the place - when I was publishing from a site that has an extensive firewall. Publishing from my home gave no grief (oops no firewall). I too gave in and bought an FTP program to handle the data transfer. No problems after that.
    So, in my scenario it wasn't that the connection was bad - its just that it took longer to establish and maintain the connection than Dreamweaver expected and so it timed out.
    I haven't found a "switch", in either product that would allow you to extend the connection time period. I'd be interested if there was one.

Cheers
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Lounger
    Thanks

I have had the same problems with Front Page- regardless of file size. It just times out when trying to connect to a server. I have used other comprehensive Web Page builders and also FTP for some time with no issues until I went to FrontPage. I cant figure out exactly what it is, but Front Page is definitely struggling with interaction of a server- maybe the FrontPage extensions impact it (because I actually had it work when I had them set up, but that is another painful story).

Thats no help, but I wanted to mention that FrontPage costs a lot of money and is useless in transferring data to a server. I have to use FTP freeware to upload. Thats like having this nice Ferarri, but you have to use the VW to get to the market.

Thanks

It is annoying when your service provider doesn't support FP extensions. Not only publishing, but many other "nice to have" FP features require them.
    WebGenii Home Page

Lounger
    Thanks

Front Page (ie, Microsoft) has a long way to go towards customer service. I do several web sites, and the fact is, most hosts dont know how to provide extensions or maintain them properly (but why would they?). Unless you can set up your own server that you can maintain, extensions are a waste of time and Front Page is just a nice dress for a pig. You can write HTML on notepad and FTP it using freeware for nothing. There are a ton of sites that allow forms,stats, polls, etc for free without any catch. Good luck to front Page users.